Knee pain / downhill technique

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Roy

Re: Knee pain / downhill technique

Post by Roy » January 20th, 2012, 9:34 am

roadtripmom wrote:
"Instead of directly facing down to the hill, turning slightly sideways may help to balance but the stress on your knees is still there because of your body weight and your backpack weight that you carry. And yes, trekking poles are super helpful for decreasing that stress and protect your knees. Highly recommend that you start using poles from your next trip because we want to make our hiking life last longer."

I agree,I have had bad knees since I was a teen and the side step and long trekking poles makes a big difference. I also take "summit ibuprofen", 600 mg before I head down.
i am allergic to NSAIDS every thing you say is true my right knee is so screwed up i am on second a custom made brace measured a fitted by an or tho. . this one's called the unloader they do work but are between $700 and a $1,000 my insurance has paid for them but i am bone on bone on that knee.

I think Crusak has nice newer version he uses.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 20th, 2012, 10:08 am

Roy wrote:...but i am bone on bone on that knee.
And yet you continue =D. Good on ya! I think I'll laugh at my knee next time it twinges, it doesn't have that much reason to complain =P.
Hi!

vienturia

Post by vienturia » January 21st, 2012, 2:20 pm

Agree with lots of the repeats here: zigzagging, preemptive ibuprofen, hiking poles...but want to put in a second plug for yoga, strange as it may sound. I found that a lot of the strength training I used to do seemed to stress my knee (as many have said, you have to do it right), but was impressed by how even simple yoga balancing postures strengthened the muscles around my ankles & knees so they don't turn and pull at the painful angles they used to.
- Lindsay

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 21st, 2012, 2:52 pm

If ballet helps football players, I don't doubt yoga would help with most anything =D.
Hi!

Roy

Post by Roy » January 23rd, 2012, 8:12 am

vienturia wrote:Agree with lots of the repeats here: zigzagging, preemptive ibuprofen, hiking poles...but want to put in a second plug for yoga, strange as it may sound. I found that a lot of the strength training I used to do seemed to stress my knee (as many have said, you have to do it right), but was impressed by how even simple yoga balancing postures strengthened the muscles around my ankles & knees so they don't turn and pull at the painful angles they used to.

my wife and long time partner does yoga shes swears by it . it has been ten years since i could keep up with her . my blood work is always good no high blood pressure,low cholesterol,no diabetes good liver count so i have Dr pepper, subway and ramen and eggs for breakfast some times. my wife eats a perfect diet but has to take meds for cholesterol. go figure

but as hiking goes the last time we did Kings she did it in 70 mins and stopped to put stick arrows and signs with my son and my name on the trail we took least an hour and half . three miles with a three thousand foot gain.

20 years a go we were equals but old injuries really have a way of biting you around 50, i did not believe it when i was told that in my thirties those docs know their stuff .

i think women are just plain smarter than us stupid men :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura