Trip logging and display on the web

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kylemeyer

Trip logging and display on the web

Post by kylemeyer » February 8th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I've been thinking about the statistics people have been putting together in the 2010 Hiking Summaries thread for a while, and finally decided I wanted to create a web interface for saving them for your personal records and to show others, but also to do interesting statistics, graphs, charts, and competitions with friends as more people include their hiking data.

The website I created is really rough and barebones currently, but I was hoping to get some feedback on the basic display of statistics, and if you had any feature requests that would make you want to use this website over keeping your own records (if you even do). General plans or ideas are to allow basic trip reports or notes with each hike, add or link to photos from the hike, add graphs that display per-month hiking stats and general hiking trends, provide achievements ala Foursquare or Xbox 360 for completing random hiking metrics (i.e. hitting 100 miles), and provide a facility to connect your account with Facebook or other users to compare hiking stats and have little friendly competitions.

Very rough (just a couple hours of work so far) website preview:
http://wenthiking.com/users/1/hikes

kja78

Re: Trip logging and display on the web

Post by kja78 » February 8th, 2011, 4:57 pm

that sight rocks. I tried to use it but it doesn't show my location on the map the right place. How do i fix that?

Thanks
kevin
http://wenthiking.com/users/3/hikes

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » February 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm

kja78 wrote:that sight rocks. I tried to use it but it doesn't show my location on the map the right place. How do i fix that?

Thanks
kevin
http://wenthiking.com/users/3/hikes
Ah thanks! You didn't double-click on the map to mark the location of the hikes. I just changed the site so you are required to interact with the map before saving, and fixed your hikes.

jamesthehiker

Post by jamesthehiker » February 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Very cool concept; it would capture all the information I retain offline!

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » February 8th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Nice!

A few questions:

Can't figure how to log back in.

The little map in add a hike is a bit tricky to navigate, being so small, perhaps it could be bigger?

Hmmm. Also trying to figure out how to edit.

Also, being able to see the regular google non-terrain map to pinpoint locations.

A great concept, and I like the layout!

Edit: more ideas,

Maybe a snowshoe/ski drop-down?

romann

Post by romann » February 8th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Great concept! I tracked the 2010 hikes on paper with the intention to put them into Excel but never got time to do it. It would be easier to input them on your site right after each hike.

I've got the same question - how to log in back? Also, it says I've added a hike but does not show it. EDIT - now can see it (I added the hike twice and get error message when I try to delete one).

I think it would be good to add 1/2 mile increments in the hike distance, and maybe a "regular" map in addition to terrain and satellite (it shows town names well, which can help in navigation). Also, not all hikes are listed somewhere and I think the hike URL should not be a required information. Changing background from white to some other color would make everything look better.

Up to 100 nights outside on a hike - I like it :D

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » February 8th, 2011, 7:36 pm

arundodonax wrote:Nice!

A few questions:

Can't figure how to log back in.

The little map in add a hike is a bit tricky to navigate, being so small, perhaps it could be bigger?

Hmmm. Also trying to figure out how to edit.

Also, being able to see the regular google non-terrain map to pinpoint locations.

A great concept, and I like the layout!

Edit: more ideas,

Maybe a snowshoe/ski drop-down?
Thanks for all the feedback!

I increased the map size and added edit links to the list. I also added an obvious log in link at the top of every page. You can turn off the terrain view by hovering over the blue map button and unchecking the box.

I'll have to think about the best way to add other sports, and maybe differentiate hiked, backpacked, snowshoed, and cross-country skiied miles. Thanks again!
romann wrote:Great concept! I tracked the 2010 hikes on paper with the intention to put them into Excel but never got time to do it. It would be easier to input them on your site right after each hike.

I've got the same question - how to log in back? Also, it says I've added a hike but does not show it. EDIT - now can see it (I added the hike twice and get error message when I try to delete one).

I think it would be good to add 1/2 mile increments in the hike distance, and maybe a "regular" map in addition to terrain and satellite (it shows town names well, which can help in navigation). Also, not all hikes are listed somewhere and I think the hike URL should not be a required information. Changing background from white to some other color would make everything look better.

Up to 100 nights outside on a hike - I like it :D
I fixed the typo I had in the code, so the delete link should work now!

romann

Post by romann » February 8th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Delete button doesn't work for me yet, but it's possible to edit and enter other hike instead of one i entered twice.

One more idea: maybe it's possible to add an option to click on a hike in the table and see which beacon on map corresponds to it. Some people will have dozens of hikes and locating a beacon may be difficult.

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » February 8th, 2011, 8:04 pm

romann wrote:Delete button doesn't work for me yet, but it's possible to edit and enter other hike instead of one i entered twice.

One more idea: maybe it's possible to add an option to click on a hike in the table and see which beacon on map corresponds to it. Some people will have dozens of hikes and locating a beacon may be difficult.
Okay now it works :P. That's a great idea! I'll definitely add that.

romann

Post by romann » February 8th, 2011, 8:18 pm

yep it works!
Last edited by romann on February 8th, 2011, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.