PCT winter thru-hikers.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
scrambler2

Re: PCT winter thru-hikers.

Post by scrambler2 » January 20th, 2015, 12:40 pm

The PCTA is calling it a winter thru hike. These guys could be first to complete it so they get to "make the rules."

Besides that, a typical thru hiker is on the trail during spring, summer, and fall.

HYOH!
PCT class of 2012

Water

Post by Water » January 21st, 2015, 12:02 am

i get both sides of this banter but it needs to be said, apparently thru-hiking and for instance, climbing, are apples and oranges. probably because the one tends to be singular and upward and the other stretches vast distances across space and time.

As incredible as it would be if someone successfully climbed Mt. Logan (massif) in November, and would be noted in AAC/ACC annuls, if it is done outside of dec 21-march 21 (or whatever calendar winter is) it would not be considered a winter ascent. It would be listed as a notable ascent but it doesn't get a * that says * basically a winter ascent. It has to actually occur during the calendar winter. For those of you who don't give a rip about such minutia or think it is ridiculous (and sure, it is, to some degree, but that is life), let it go in one ear and out the other or consider yourself learned in one little facet of something you don't personally care about or agree with.

it is an damn challenging trip these two are doing and certainly the sierra are going to be no picnic - its a mixed bag--a winter level snow pack in WA (especially) and OR would have been much more challenging with nav and avi hazard--but possibly 'drier' in some respects, possibly faster on some sections (skiing..but unlikely faster in totality). Looks like they had a lot of foot deep rain-slush to glob through with boots and snowshoes in OR and WA, that in itself is a challenge. I'm really interested to see how they do traversing the entire sierra with a decent winter pack, i do think that is the 'rubber hitting the road', or in this case.. maybe the 'fishscales/wax hitting the snow'--if they can do that there, they could probably do it up here. If they do end up having to bail in the sierra due to snow, at least to me it seems to speak that indeed OR and WA was slush plowing, hellish as it is, and not true winter travel.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » January 22nd, 2015, 2:34 pm

Remember that once you get south of the Tahoe area, it is about 200 miles at least with no road crossings. And the normal summer (!) resupply points are all unplowed and under snow. Up here, there are numerous year-round roads you will cross staying on the trail. So as long as you can get between the various year-round Cascade-crossing highways, you can get resupplied without leaving the route. It's a LONG way off the PCT to get any supplies in the Sierra in the snowy season.

AND

they will be in the southern California deserts in the late spring. HOT.

They may not be doing our area in winter, but I think all-in-all they have chosen about the hardest set of seasons to do this if going straight through.

raven

Post by raven » January 23rd, 2015, 12:27 am

This is a supported trip, even if they are not advertising the fact. On January 18th they resupplied at Truckee Pass, on a closed highway according. Specifically mentioned on one of Lichter's posts. He states at the end "Onward into Yosemite tomorrow!"

How they get resupplied apart from road crossings is a problem I have to assume they solved. I suspect they expect to finish before it gets very warm at the south end.

Water

Post by Water » January 23rd, 2015, 10:25 am

their achievement will stand for what it is. and it is impressive. but looking at this graph of california too, i think everyone can agree doing this trail during average winter snow-depth would be significantly different. Factually and statistically they have dealt with an anomalously low amount of snow. Doesn't mean they haven't moved on snow plenty, but any similar to nobos not having to contend with much Sierra snow some of the last few summers vs 2010-2011 season they were stymied by snow it was so deep in the summer.
calisnowdepth.jpg
Feel Free to Feel Free

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » January 26th, 2015, 12:21 pm

raven wrote:This is a supported trip, even if they are not advertising the fact. On January 18th they resupplied at Truckee Pass, on a closed highway according. Specifically mentioned on one of Lichter's posts. He states at the end "Onward into Yosemite tomorrow!"
Yep, it's supported. Most thru hikes are. Primarily, only speed attempts are as classified as supported or unsupported because Scott W claimed his records that way.
PCT class of 2012

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » January 26th, 2015, 12:58 pm

raven wrote:This is a supported trip, even if they are not advertising the fact.
What does this have to do with...

Anything?
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

drm

Post by drm » January 26th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Well, if they had to walk or ski 20 miles or more off route repeatedly to get resupplied, it would be that much harder than it already is.

Yes, I suppose they are fortunate not to be doing this in a heavy snow year. Still a hell of a thing.

raven

Post by raven » January 26th, 2015, 10:50 pm

The difference between supported and not in winter is bigger than the time lost going out to resupply. In my experience, after 5 or 6 days gear becomes damp unless one is lucky enough to have warm days with sunshine. I never had many of those on my longer winter trips. In cold enough conditions, the ice builds in one's insulation, but may not be noticed or melt until the first warm day or until you innocently bring the clothing into your sleeping bag. One can be surprised.

If one has support, the kit carried (and food and fuel) only has to last until resupply: also, the kit can be tuned to the current weather report and snow conditions. The support team can provide dry clothing and sleep gear, taking the wet stuff away to be dried. Without resupply one has to carry the gear for all conditions and the two or more days of extra food and fuel required to go off trail for resupply -- while dealing with wet gear on an ongoing basis.

And the support team offers a smooth means of recovery when conditions require -- as when they bailed North of Jefferson. Winter tends to deliver surprises. Breaking trail with a pack in unexpectedly deep powder makes scheduling mileage hard. That, in turn, requires a robust emergency kit including extra food and fuel. So a support team in winter offers far more than the enhanced speed offered in summer.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » January 27th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Tell us more about thier dedicated support team. I totally missed that.
PCT class of 2012