PCT winter thru-hikers.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
raven

Re: PCT winter thru-hikers.

Post by raven » January 19th, 2015, 10:08 am

Yes, they switched from a winter thru-hike to a new sort of beast -- a reverse thru hike during a reversed season. For obvious reasons the usual (summer) thru hikers go from south to north. A reverse thru hike during the usual season seems to be an untried challenge.

I think this pair should be more up-front about what they are now doing.

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 19th, 2015, 10:25 am

raven wrote:A reverse thru hike during the usual season seems to be an untried challenge.
10% of PCT thru hikes are N to S, hardly an untried challenge.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Post by Koda » January 19th, 2015, 10:43 am

raven wrote:Yes, they switched from a winter thru-hike to a new sort of beast -- a reverse thru hike during a reversed season. For obvious reasons the usual (summer) thru hikers go from south to north. A reverse thru hike during the usual season seems to be an untried challenge.

I think this pair should be more up-front about what they are now doing.
As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a "reversed season" thru hike, they are spending the entire duration of winter on the PCT so its a fair claim to me. What is considered "usual" by no means creates any standard. There are no rules other than completion. It appears you are creating your own made up standard for completing the PCT thru hike. Im curious what you think they should be more up front about?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » January 19th, 2015, 10:57 am

Thank you for correcting me. I note though that the southbound starts are usually in mid-summer or a bit later to minimize snow travel. A true reverse start would be in January or February - not October..

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 19th, 2015, 10:57 am

If they were running a marathon, or whatever, and wanted their record to be in the record books, then it would be important to strictly follow the rules.

Or if they wanted to break the record for number of home runs in a season then it would be cheating to use not allowed drugs.

This is just an adventure that they're sharing. I think it's great! And extremly difficult. Kudos to them...

Now, free climbing the Dawn Wall with ropes and a support team, that's cheating :lol:

Koda

Post by Koda » January 19th, 2015, 11:02 am

raven wrote:A true reverse start would be in January or February - not October..
Not if you wanted to hike the duration of the winter season.

raven

Post by raven » January 19th, 2015, 11:51 am

We agree. You would start from the south as they originally planned, when they originally planned.

Koda

Post by Koda » January 19th, 2015, 11:56 am

raven wrote:We agree. You would start from the south as they originally planned, when they originally planned.
aakkk, no. We dont agree.

You can start anytime and pick any direction you want as well as change itinerary anytime you want. You dont have to complete it in winter either, just hike it through the duration of winter.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » January 19th, 2015, 12:37 pm

I know I'm polishing a turd here, but it sounds like raven would like a money back guarantee for what his idea of someone elses winter though hike was supposed to be, ended up being, would be, could be, should be, etc.,

I think raven is entitled to every cent he's spent on their hike back. I'll even kick in an extra 10% if he can show me proof of what he's spent on this particular winter through hike of the PCT by these two guys that probably don't give a damn about any of these armchair opinions, especially mine.

These guys are doing something that I, personally, am scared to do myself. As long as they travelled the miles on or near the corridor during winter type weather , I believe I at least owe them a beer or two and some respect for their adventure and efforts.

But I won't criticize. I'm not gonna walk a mile in those snowshoes.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 19th, 2015, 2:39 pm

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider