PCT winter thru-hikers.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
romann

Re: PCT winter thru-hikers.

Post by romann » January 16th, 2015, 11:56 pm

I think the calendar season is irrelevant - they are hiking in true winter conditions by now and it will take them looong time to get over Sierras to the southern border. (on unrelated note, I once swam in February... right near equator - does it count as an ice swim because it was in mid-winter? :lol: )

Being some of the first at this, they have to learn a lot on their own mistakes - and tough out anything they weren't prepared for (cold, wet feet for 3 months - brrr... 8-) ). And like someone said in this thread, this hike is long enough it takes summer thru-hikers a bit of three seasons, theirs - if finished - can take most of three seasons to complete. It's like taking thru-hiking to a whole new level.

raven

Post by raven » January 17th, 2015, 1:13 am

They did not do the winter states in winter. They finished Oregon before winter began. No one has done a winter trip the length of either Oregon or Washington.

True winter is not only more work. it's a death defying fight with cornices on ridges, avalanche slopes to cross, and tree pits and hollows in the trees. And white out in places. To say these guys did a winter PCT in Oregon or Washington would be to belittle the accomplishment of anyone who manages either trip in the future -- between Dec 22 and March 22 -- without support.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 17th, 2015, 9:15 am

PCT thru-hikers never hike the 'summer state' of southern California (especially the Mojave Desert) during the summer, either. They are usually hiking the Mojave in either late April/early May if they are nobo, or else late October/early November if sobo.

I am not sure what you expect these guys to have done differently to meet your objections, raven. This is a 2650 mile hike, not an 800 mile hike of just Oregon and Washington State, and it needed to be planned on that basis. Because asking them to hike 2650 miles between Dec 22 and March 22, unsupported, is basically asking them to be beyond superhuman.

Koda

Post by Koda » January 17th, 2015, 9:57 am

raven wrote:They did not do the winter states in winter. They finished Oregon before winter began. No one has done a winter trip the length of either Oregon or Washington.

True winter is not only more work. it's a death defying fight with cornices on ridges, avalanche slopes to cross, and tree pits and hollows in the trees. And white out in places. To say these guys did a winter PCT in Oregon or Washington would be to belittle the accomplishment of anyone who manages either trip in the future -- between Dec 22 and March 22 -- without support.
I have to respectfully disagree with this crossing the Sierras is no walk in the park in winter.

and even summer thru hikers get support...

What these guys are doing is a major accomplishment sponsored or not and will open the eyes of possibilities for all
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » January 17th, 2015, 10:15 am

Aimless and Koda: You are talking thru-hiking while I am talking winter travel. We are not in disagreement there. Nor do we disagree about athletic performance. My point is that they have no claim to having done winter travel in either Washington or Oregon. Are you claiming that they do?

Koda

Post by Koda » January 17th, 2015, 10:19 am

Raven, I didnt know they were claiming to winter hike Ore and Wa.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » January 17th, 2015, 10:50 am

Per their blogs, the original plan was to start from the south on October 21 with a 5 month window, thereby ending in late March in Canada. They did not change the name of the trip or their advertising. That would have been a winter trip through Washington and Oregon.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 17th, 2015, 11:15 am

They did not change the name of the trip or their advertising.

You seem to be applying some standard of purity that I have a hard time understanding.

romann

Post by romann » January 17th, 2015, 9:04 pm

raven wrote:They did not do the winter states in winter. They finished Oregon before winter began. No one has done a winter trip the length of either Oregon or Washington.
Agree about OR and WA, it can be much tougher in the dead of winter (still, their photos show they hit some seroius snow by/after Crater Lake). But their thru-hike - if completed - would certainly qualify at that, both in time frame and in conditions they'd likely see in the Sierras.

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 19th, 2015, 9:36 am

raven wrote:Per their blogs, the original plan was to start from the south on October 21 with a 5 month window, thereby ending in late March in Canada. They did not change the name of the trip or their advertising. That would have been a winter trip through Washington and Oregon.
Did you mean that they are ending in March in Mexico? They are hiking N to S.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider