PCT winter thru-hikers.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
airoff

PCT winter thru-hikers.

Post by airoff » January 12th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Chase

Re: PCT winter thru-hikers.

Post by Chase » January 12th, 2015, 3:45 pm

I can imagine some difficult sections where you'd have to be happy with 5 or 6 miles in a day. These guys have some serious intestinal fortitude.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 12th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Thank you for posting that. I hadn't been aware of this attempt before now and it is amazing to think of the depth of skill and determination required for them to have succeeded even this far.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » January 12th, 2015, 6:59 pm

I have been following them and I can't even imagine the cold!

Guy

Post by Guy » January 12th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Yeah, this is really hard core!!

Looks like they are making pretty good speed though despite the conditions!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Zia

Post by Zia » January 12th, 2015, 7:35 pm

I read that article this past weekend. I'm very impressed and wish them luck on finishing it.

raven

Post by raven » January 12th, 2015, 8:48 pm

I find the trip hard to fathom as a "winter" through hike. First, the attempt seems to have been, wisely, to get through as much as Washington as possible before much snow fell. A couple of avalanches could have ruined their style, but winter it was not.

Then there is the matter of resupply. Summer is a lot easier. In winter more weight has to be carried; not as much ground is covered; roads are closed -- so resupply is needed more often and each one requires more time. Sounds like this is a supported trip, with frequent contact with a support team; resupply with dried sleeping bags, fresh clothing, the foot gear of the moment; and an etcetera of creature comforts.

Winter is hard in the Oregon Cascades. Jerry Igo with three others did part of the Oregon Cascades in spring in the 1970s They baled on one section and deviated to the east of the Sisters. How faithful they were to being on the PCT south of Bachelor is unknown to me.

Winter PCT through-hike thoughts were discussed at BPL, complete with some personal tales, in this thread:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=10207

The guys trying it now are lucky it is a low snow year, supported or not. As to whether they actually are traveling the entire PCT, I'm probably going to remain skeptical in the absence of solid evidence.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 13th, 2015, 7:29 am

cup half empty? :lol:

Surridge

Post by Surridge » January 13th, 2015, 9:46 am

Although they may not be "hiking" the trail step for step they are hiking the entire corridor of the PCT, which, in places lies under feet of snow and would be difficult, maybe impossible to follow. If anyone can complete this hike it is these two. These are two of the most accomplished hikers out there.
Justinlicther.com
shawnforrey.com

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 13th, 2015, 9:48 am

Surridge wrote:Although they may not be "hiking" the trail step for step they are hiking the entire corridor of the PCT, which, in places lies under feet of snow and would be difficult, maybe impossible to follow. If anyone can complete this hike it is these two. These are two of the most accomplished hikers out there.
Justinlicther.com
shawnforrey.com
Agreed. They are true athletes, they are up to this challenge and do not seem like the kind of guys who shortcut anything.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown