Critics needed for Skamania 231!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
K.Wagner

Critics needed for Skamania 231!

Post by K.Wagner » December 16th, 2014, 10:17 am

Last year at the Meet-N-Deet, we sat next to MattisnotFrench. He unknowingly encouraged me to write about my goal of trying to summit all 231 of the recognized summits in Skamania County. So, for the past year, my poor wife Fran has put up with being drug over countless miles of gravel roads, and untold hours of me sitting in front of the computer, all in the name of compiling and writing "Skamania 231: How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County". I am now at point where I need some outside reviewers to take on a couple of chapters to review and critique, so that I can begin distribution next fall.
Tiger Lily-text.jpg
What I am asking for is for other off trail adventurers to take on 2 or 3 of the 12 chapters. Perhaps take one area that you think you know well, and take another one that you don't know much about but have been curious about. Then next summer, get out with it and test out some of my routes.

Here is the county map, with each of the areas outlined.
Skamania_Map_Areas_Named-S.jpg
I am looking for people who will be free with their criticisms and suggestions for additions (and subtractions). The chapters are all in PDF format and will be emailed. Along with the requested chapters, you will get the Introduction which lays out the premise of the guide and my suggestions on how to best utilize this digital volume. Everything is digital now, but even at that, this one is getting big enough that it would not be printable (currently about 450 pages!).

I am also still looking for more pictures, so if you can contribute that way, PM me for the list.

The incentive?? All who make significant contributions will be recognized in the book (as in: "This route edited by / contributed by *****) and will get a complimentary copy.

Please PM me with your areas and an email address!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

BigBear

Re: Critics needed for Skamania 231!

Post by BigBear » December 16th, 2014, 11:49 am

It looks like an interesting book, but am unable to find it on the internet to look further than the cover. The area I would be most interested in critiquing would be Indian Heaven.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » December 16th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Big Bear,

It's not out yet. Am hoping to get it out next fall. PM me with your email so I can get that chapter to you.
Kelly

Skamania 231

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 16th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I am probably not a person you want to help with your task, but I will say that I pledge to be one of the first to buy it. I love exploring my own backyard more than anywhere else.
Last edited by Lumpy on December 17th, 2014, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » December 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Lumpy,

There really is a wide range of trips to be found in it. All the way from a couple of "Drive ups" (example: Flat Top) to summit trails (example: Observation Peak) to brush bashing (example: 3660 near Siouxon Peak) to technical (example: Shark Rock in the Dark Divide)

I'll be sure to shout it out when it's finally out.
Kelly

Skamania 231

romann

Post by romann » December 19th, 2014, 11:35 pm

I am interested to critique St. Helens area, and also Indian Heaven if you take more than 1 person per area. If IH is not available, can take another area (most likely, Dark Divide) but will need to test my car first.

Looks like very handy book, a kind of "big picture" of Skamania County. I only hike in a few smaller areas of the county, and have never seen a big chunk of it.

Mark Chambers

Post by Mark Chambers » April 3rd, 2016, 6:29 pm

Hi Kelly,

Just came across your post for Skamania 231 and am curious if you are still looking for someone to go over some of the more out-of-the-way areas on your list. I live in Carson and am looking to do some exploring. I am pretty familiar with Indian Heaven Wilderness and have hiked a number of the abandoned trails in that area. Any areas you are light on, however, I would be happy to help.

Mark

beag

Post by beag » April 4th, 2016, 8:54 am

Theres a hike below SR14 West of Cape Horn and several hikes in the Prindle, Archer, Hardy Ridge, Green leaf area which I may be able to help with. Also the old CCT between Augspurger and Triangle Pass. They are on public property but not official trails.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » April 4th, 2016, 9:13 am

Skamania County is such a great place to hike with so many hidden trails that nobody knows about. I've always wanted to create a trail that links three mountains (Dog, Augspurger, and Wind) and have a friendly competition to hike 3 peaks in 1 day (triple crown). Yes, it can be done! I just need a little more time to develop the trail from Augspurger to Wind..... there's lots of trail work that needs to be done.

NEEDED: trail builders that don't react to poison oak!!
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Peder

Post by Peder » April 4th, 2016, 9:24 am

Kelly - I would be happy to look through the Mt Margaret Backcountry section.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…