Cape Lookout Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
buck

Cape Lookout Trail

Post by buck » November 27th, 2014, 6:27 am

Two times in the last week, I have seen people on bikes on the Cape Lookout Trail at the Oregon Coast. The trailhead signs clearly post no bikes. I am a mountain biker myself, but felt a need to remind others to respect the rules.

Born2BBrad

Re: Cape Lookout Trail

Post by Born2BBrad » November 27th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I also have seen tire tracks on trails where bikes should not be. Once I came across a mountain biker heading deeper into the Three Sisters Wilderness. He played stupid when confronted and turned around.

There is a certain subset of mountain bikers, likely small, that will do whatever they want. Who is going to stop them? I'll confront rule breakers verbally, but not physically.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 27th, 2014, 2:20 pm

I was camped at night on the Timberline Trail at Newton Creek. Bicyclers rode by with their lights. They had headlamps and were looking around in different directions. Very spooky until I figured out what it was. I give them credit for getting the bicycles down the cliff to Newton Creek :)

I don't really care what they do as long as they don't run people off the trail or cause excessive erosion.

dirt farmer

Post by dirt farmer » November 27th, 2014, 9:36 pm

I, too, am a huge mountain biking fan (much more so than hiking!), but I would never bike that trail. It's always a sloppy, muddy mess! Mud is several inches deep!

I'll try to pass along a kindly reminder on the mtbr.com forums!

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » December 1st, 2014, 1:46 pm

buck wrote:Two times in the last week, I have seen people on bikes on the Cape Lookout Trail at the Oregon Coast. The trailhead signs clearly post no bikes. I am a mountain biker myself, but felt a need to remind others to respect the rules.
Next they'll be on Cape Lookouts southside trail, biking the short-cut-the-switchback cut trails that the surfers have created in their hurry to get to the cove. What a mess that'll be.

I don't hesitate to confront people who are where they shouldn't be.

PS. I like bikes, and have three.