Larch Mountain logging latest aerial views

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Re: Larch Mountain logging latest aerial views

Post by Guy » November 24th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Don Nelsen wrote: This is a shame but I don't know what to do about it. Ideas? Anybody interested in a tour-de-relics before they are gone?

edit for typos
Don, great time of year for a "Tour de Relics" or "Tour des reliqiues" :)

If you put one together I'm in!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Guy wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote: This is a shame but I don't know what to do about it. Ideas? Anybody interested in a tour-de-relics before they are gone?

edit for typos
Don, great time of year for a "Tour de Relics" or "Tour des reliqiues" :)

If you put one together I'm in!

Count me in as well :D

As for what to do, maybe some of the old equipment could be salvaged and preserved in a museum or something? Is much of it buried too deep in the woods, so to speak, for it to even be possible let alone practical to extract? Or is it just that it shouldn't be clear cut over but should stay in it's place in the woods?

I know many of you(especially DN) have some amazing photos from those parts, maybe pile together a few and send them to other groups(friends of the gorge or railroad groups etc?) interested in preserving gorge history or just groups centered around old logging relics and steam-era equipment, they might have some good ideas? It sure would be a shame for it to just get destroyed.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 26th, 2014, 7:59 am

Guy and Sean,

Thanks for the interest and I will put a tour together. I'm car camping and hiking my way to Yuma at present so don't have access to most files but I'll take your advice and make up a photo presentation of what I've found.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peabody

Post by Peabody » May 2nd, 2016, 5:56 pm

Looks like the logging continues in this area. I sent an email to BARK asking if the amount of contiguous clear cut acreage was legal. If they respond, I'll post it here.
For a single landowner, clear-cuts are allowed up to 120 acres in size. The clear-cut parcel must be buffered by at least 300 feet on a single landowner’s property or until replanted trees have grown for 4 years or are 4 feet tall.
T1NR4ESEC35-36.jpg
This is a stream and pond.
Stream-Pond.jpg
I combined images taken from Google Earth into an animated GIF (What's that song again?? Oh yeah....I remember!) :lol: :ugeek:

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 3rd, 2016, 9:44 am

To be completely fair, it looks like they're meeting the laws.. Judging by the aerials, everything is replanted except the sections below, which are 25ac, 37ac, 109ac and 18ac..
clearcut.JPG

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » May 9th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Splintercat wrote:-- and especially to export raw logs when they could be milled here. Oregon's rural counties continue to have an extremely high unemployment rate, so the impact of these exports is real, and the rest of us pay for it in terms of human services for economically distraught counties.
Don't forget to add in the cost of these impacts...

Minimal property taxes don't cover the damage done to the public's roadways by the hauling of logs and heavy equipment needed for logging.

These companies pay a pittance for property tax but receive government services including expensive law enforcement resources.

The impacts of extensive clearcutting are borne by the public in the form of diminished water quality and quantity, downstream sedimentation, debris flows (Osso WA. as one tragic example) and on and on.