Stunning video of Sandy Glacier cave system

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Peabody

Stunning video of Sandy Glacier cave system

Post by Peabody » November 18th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Absolutely uber stunning video of Sandy Glacier cave system accompanied by an absolutely horrible commentary/sound track (IMHO)

Requiem of Ice from Uncage the Soul Productions

http://vimeo.com/111161365
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

BrianEdwards

Re: Stunning video of Sandy Glacier cave system

Post by BrianEdwards » November 18th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Nice. Interesting to see how much the glacier starts to melt as the day goes along. Thanks for sharin
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 18th, 2014, 11:42 pm

1. Wow. Incredible. I want to tell everybody I know to watch that. And then brag that I've been there.
2. Yeah, the narration was hideous. Immediately, as soon as it started, I groaned and rolled my eyes. Somebody should do, like, maybe a Skinny Puppy version, or Ministry, whatever.
3. Imagine the tourism that video could generate. Not that I'm saying that would be a good thing, mind you. I'm just speculating that a 30 second TV spot could bring in busloads of people. Well, except that only old folks watch TV...but you know what I mean.

Peder

Post by Peder » November 19th, 2014, 6:26 am

The imagery is fantastic! The commentary, as already stated, is best described by words not allowed on PH! There is still no way anybody is going to get me into those caves, I consider them far too dangerous... :shock:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » November 19th, 2014, 7:03 am

That is some impressive photography. I really like the time lapse with movement. If they had done away with the cheesy narration (I didn't mind the music so much), it would have been much better. The quality of the images makes you feel like you were there - I'm sure I'll never visit those caves.

Thanks for posting it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » November 19th, 2014, 8:24 am

Here's the story from a successful SAR up there about a week ago..
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/ttt/89-news ... e-lose-way

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 19th, 2014, 8:40 am

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the commentary! "Thoughts of a dying glacier" It's sad that one day in not a few years, those "caves" may be gone. Similar to the Paradise Glacier caves on Rainier in the 1960's that are no longer there.

"Despite my open door, I cannot promise you safety."
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

-Q-

Post by -Q- » November 19th, 2014, 5:04 pm

That was super awesome.
I watched it with the sound turned all the way down haha ;)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 19th, 2014, 8:19 pm

miah66 wrote:... It's sad that one day in not a few years, those "caves" may be gone. Similar to the Paradise Glacier caves on Rainier in the 1960's that are no longer there.
Yes, it is sad, but another way to look at it is that we're lucky to see something fleeting. We were here at just the right time and just the right place to experience this. Just like we [some of us] were here to see the eruption of St Helens, and see the birth of a new glacier in the crater. So overall, I guess I'm okay with things changing. I mean, if you want to talk about climate change and glaciers melting, it is very sad, but isn't it cool to see it, compared to what it would be like to live in a stable era where the glaciers are rock-solid reliable decade after decade? Sure, I would have liked to have seen the Paradise caves...but I'm willing to trade that for the other neat stuff I've seen in the last couple decades. From a purely selfish standpoint, ignoring future generations, I think it could be cool to see Mt Hood (for example) stripped bare of ice in August, and tell stories of the old days when we could see glaciers from Portland. I've been drinking, but I think I'd say the same if sober.

scole

Post by scole » November 22nd, 2014, 9:13 pm

I'm surprised at all the hate towards the narration. I think it's fine. Anyways, I wouldn't expect anything less from Ben and his group but what makes me frown from this is his use of a drone within federal wilderness (which I believe is a prohibited activity). Considering there are only two BRIEF scenes shot with a drone, the footage really wasn't necessary and IMO does not add much to the overall work.