Hike your own hike

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
forestkeeper

Re: Hike your own hike

Post by forestkeeper » November 23rd, 2014, 8:26 pm

Reading all of these replies confirms what I have thought for years. Oregon is getting like the large cities back east; people no longer like talking to each other. Most trails here in Oregon are getting like Forest Park, you can say "hi," "hello," "hey," or give another hiker the finger, yet you won't get a response. Most hikers are too much concerned with themselves than to even converse with others. Twenty years ago and prior, you would almost always get a greeting and small talk when passing fellow hikers. But hiking in past years was a different kind of sport. It was nice hiking with the Looneys a few years ago: EP, Mayhem, Sean, Tom/Roy and Dustin would always be quick to talk and get pictures with passing hikers. Those hikes were fun!!! If I pass older hikers, they tend to short talk a lot, but anyone under 50 tend to never make eye contact even if you are dancing in front of them. Portlandia has become an anti social community. But with all the focus on SELF and SELF HELPS, everyone just cares about themselves. The Bible does say that in the last days, the love of many will wax cold meaning the love people have for others will diminish. I wish people would strike up conversations on the trail.

As with people that are slow, I simply say "Excuse me!" and go my merry way. I thought that is what we're suppose to say unless you are too stuck up to even open your mouth to others. And when I'm taking photos, I encourage passing hikers to get in the frame. You receive more smiles and embarrassment laughter from that. And it's the holidays. People are stressed, lonely, emotions running wild. Show a big smile and wish a fellow hiker, "Merry Christmas!" ;)

tednottodd

Post by tednottodd » November 23rd, 2014, 8:42 pm

ForestKeeper - I haven't gone through and re-read every post, but I'm pretty sure every single person that replied in this thread commented that they gave a smile, a nod or a "hi there" to others passing on the trail.

I don't think that you should be required to befriend every hiker like a long lost brother, lest you be thought of as self centered or rude. That's a pretty high bar.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » November 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

I beg to differ. I'm under 50 and always make eye contact with other hikers. And they don't even have to dance. I'm also pleased to report that I run into high school and college aged hikers that are perfectly friendly and not self absorbed. I do most of my hiking in northern Washington but have done plenty in various locations around Oregon and have not been aware of any kind of institutionalized snobbery among Oregonians.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » November 23rd, 2014, 11:15 pm

If you hike on some of the more popular/close trails people tend to be a little less friendly but in general I find most hikers are nice. I have only met a few that I would classify as downright unfriendly (All on gorge trails except one fella on the Dickey Creek trail who seemed to think my puppy was a bear...) I'm under 50 and say howdy to those I meet:) I'm at my happiest when I'm hiking so its hard not to be friendly with the people I meet. :lol:

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 24th, 2014, 8:59 am

tednottodd wrote:I don't think that you should be required to befriend every hiker like a long lost brother, lest you be thought of as self centered or rude. That's a pretty high bar.
:lol: I didn't say you have to swap spit with every soul you cross on the trail. Or yell "Group hug!!!" :lol:

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 24th, 2014, 10:30 am

tednottodd wrote: They seemed a little put off by our quiet nature. Don't get me wrong, we are happy to encourage people to keep going when they look tired and give distance estimates when people ask. Share treats with through hikers, answer questions about difficulty and all the things that seem to come up out there. but we generally don't just strike up water cooler conversations on the trail.
You must be one of those new hikerbots. ;) :lol:
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
No personal inquiries. Technical info only to those human infidels! :lol:
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
I'm just razzing you Ted! This is the US of A. Your free to behave any way you like on the trails. Me? I'm just kind of weird! I'm a solo hiker for the most part so I like to be a little social on the trails, unless I see Retired Jerry. Then I dive in the bushes and hide. ;) Have a Happy Thanksgiving!