Hike your own hike

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
olderthanIusedtobe

Re: Hike your own hike

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » November 22nd, 2014, 11:42 am

Sean Thomas wrote: Also I think wearing shorts 11/12months of the year throws people off in the colder months too :D
I wear shorts hiking pretty much year round as well. I've lost track of how many times I've gotten funny looks or people asking me if I'm cold. I think to myself "Would I be wearing shorts if I was too cold?" but don't say it out loud. I'll tell them I'm fine, or my legs don't usually get cold, or I'll sometimes ask them if they're too warm if it seems like they're more bundled up than the weather conditions call for.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » November 22nd, 2014, 12:01 pm

Interesting thread. I can get quite chatty on the trail, but I think only when the other party is willing. I think I'm always friendly. As someone else mentioned it's hard to not be in a good mood when out hiking. I'm fine with just saying hello and continuing on my way, but I can have a conversation as well. I try not to give unsolicited advice. Seems like people always ask "How far to x (lake, trailhead, summit, etc.)" I have a hard time with that one. I lose track of how far I've traveled over time, plus it totally depends on a hiker's pace. I estimate as well as I can. I did recently gently suggest to a couple that they turn around on a hike a few weeks ago. It was late afternoon, daylight doesn't last long these days and they didn't have head lamps. They didn't make it back to the trailhead before dark (I know they didn't because I didn't and I was ahead of them), but at least I convinced them to start heading back. The last 4 miles were on a road bed anyway. I also get questions about trail conditions sometimes. There's no way to know the other person's experience or fitness level, so I try to be realistic about potential difficulties without seeming condescending. I definitely get unsolicited advice from others at time. I hike solo a vast majority of the time. Some people feel the need to tell me that's not safe or whatever. I try to be somewhat friendly while also letting them know thanks but no thanks for trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing. There's all kinds of people, I occasionally encounter rude or nosy or oblivious hikers, but I shake it off. It takes a lot more than that to ruin my mood when I'm out on the trail having a good time.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » November 22nd, 2014, 12:07 pm

Oh, dogs are a whole other issue. So many off leash dogs are not under voice command. I'm a dog person so I don't mind a friendly pup running up to say hello and maybe getting muddy paws on me, but I can understand people that aren't into dogs not being okay with that at all. Dogs are kinda like kids, everybody thinks theirs are well behaved, even when they aren't. I've occasionally encountered unfriendly or even threatening dogs. Makes me wonder what the heck the owner is thinking taking a dog on a hike where there are going to be people around if the dog isn't okay in that kind of situation.

I'm not a huge fan of horses but I haven't had any really negative encounters. I've run into llamas or pack goats a few times. Those are kind of a novelty and pique my curiosity.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 22nd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Interesting conversation! As someone who frequently lugs my tripod around on the trail, I'd like to add a few words from a photographer's point of view.

First, I almost never carry my tripod on busy trails when I know I'll encounter lots of people, unless it's a hike just for the view at the end and I plan to hang around for the perfect light, not to take photos on the trail! Still, there have been times when I've thought I was pretty isolated and was so lost in taking photos that I didn't realize another hiker was approaching. In those situations I very much appreciate a few words, from at least a few paces away, like "Hi, may I pass?" Or whatever. (Also, it kind of throws me when I move to get out of the way and someone says, "No, no, go ahead and take your shot," because I never take just one shot!)

Bottom line, you can't do anything about people who are completely clueless or just don't care about others. But folks like me who do care will appreciate a direct request if they're just temporarily clueless due to inattention or being lost in solitude, or whatever. It sounds like the people you encountered knew you were there, so we're talking apples and oranges a bit, but I wanted to offer my perspective.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 22nd, 2014, 8:44 pm

I dread encountering the uber chatty types. It's not just on the trail either. Happens A LOT in my job at the library, and in other public places too. Those people are usually extroverts who could talk the hind legs off a donkey. They often don't understand that not everyone is like them, that some of us would rather just exchange pleasantries and move on. My body language makes it pretty clear whether I'm in the mood to chat or not, but some people aren't great at picking up on those cues.

(BTW, I think every extrovert should read the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 22nd, 2014, 9:51 pm

justpeachy wrote:I dread encountering the uber chatty types. It's not just on the trail either. Happens A LOT in my job at the library, and in other public places too. Those people are usually extroverts who could talk the hind legs off a donkey. They often don't understand that not everyone is like them, that some of us would rather just exchange pleasantries and move on. My body language makes it pretty clear whether I'm in the mood to chat or not, but some people aren't great at picking up on those cues.

(BTW, I think every extrovert should read the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.)
Excellent book, Cheryl,

I read it and then bought two of them to give to a couple friends who are INTJ and relate to what you are saying.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

texasbb

Post by texasbb » November 23rd, 2014, 7:57 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
justpeachy wrote:I dread encountering the uber chatty types. It's not just on the trail either. Happens A LOT in my job at the library, and in other public places too. Those people are usually extroverts who could talk the hind legs off a donkey. They often don't understand that not everyone is like them, that some of us would rather just exchange pleasantries and move on. My body language makes it pretty clear whether I'm in the mood to chat or not, but some people aren't great at picking up on those cues.

Excellent book, Cheryl,

I read it and then bought two of them to give to a couple friends who are INTJ and relate to what you are saying.

dn
I find the topic interesting and read some of the reviews of that book. Many complained that the author seemed to equate introversion with shyness and a fear of speaking in public. I don't want to buy it if that's the case, because I know both from experience and from talking with my family-counsellor daughter that those are wrong characterizations.

So, what do you two think about the book in that regard?

I'm both very introverted and very comfortable with public speaking. In fact, my comfort level increases with the size of the audience. And I'm certainly not shy, though "reserved" is often used of me.

(And are we anywhere close to being still on topic? :? )

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 23rd, 2014, 8:22 am

texasbb wrote:I find the topic interesting and read some of the reviews of that book. Many complained that the author seemed to equate introversion with shyness and a fear of speaking in public. I don't want to buy it if that's the case, because I know both from experience and from talking with my family-counsellor daughter that those are wrong characterizations. So, what do you two think about the book in that regard?
It's been two and a half years since I read the book, but I don't remember thinking that the author made a blanket generalization about all introverts being shy and having a fear of speaking in public.

What made the book so fascinating for me was the comparisons between how introverts think and how they handle certain situations compared with introverts. For example, an introvert is more than capable of enjoying a dinner party and socializing with friends (and even strangers!). But they need down-time after that party to re-energize. Extroverts on the other hand absolutely thrive off of those social situations. They could go to a different social engagement every night of the week and not feel drained. They get their energy from interacting with other people, whereas introverts get their energy from quiet/alone time (which, contrary to what some people may think, is not at all the same thing as being shy or anti-social).

As an introvert I was surprised to discover that I actually enjoyed interacting with library patrons and coworkers all day long when I first started working in the library. But boy do I look forward to a quiet evening at home with my cats and my books at the end of the day! :D

Sorry for the thread drift!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 23rd, 2014, 11:09 am

I see that justpeachy has made the point I was going to make. Introverts are people who, while they may enjoy social occasions of all sorts, will need some alone time to recover from putting out all that energy. That's me and I suspect the majority here on PH.org.

Extroverts gain energy from social situations and get all down and mopey when they have to be alone for very long. When you see a politician with a huge smile on their face wade into a crowd to shake hundreds of hands, you are seeing an extrovert in top form.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 23rd, 2014, 11:11 am

extroverts suck all the energy out of introverts? :)

Yeah, I enjoy (can stand) social ineractions for a while but then I'm "in a fog" for a while recovering.