Wilderness Society shortcomings, Howie Wolke Speaks Out

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mcds

Wilderness Society shortcomings, Howie Wolke Speaks Out

Post by mcds » October 28th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Video recorded on October 17, 2014 at the 50th Anniversary National Wilderness Conference.

Josh Mahan wrote:This lecture by wilderness expert Howie Wolke stresses the importance of keeping the Wilderness Act intact instead of creating loopholes for development. Wolke asserts that The Wilderness Society, led by president Jamie Williams and board member Bill Cronin, has lost its way by undercutting the efforts of smaller groups and not pushing for big wilderness. Instead foundations like the Pew Charitable Trusts are driving proposals that work against conservation. Wolke is also critical of the hiring of former timber industry lobbyist Mark Rey. "John Muir, Bob Marshall, and Howard Zahniser spin in their graves. The malfeasance must end," Wolke said.

Starting with the U.S. Forest Service's RARE II (Roadless Area Review Evaluation) inventory in the late 1970's, the opportunity to designate 80 million acres of wilderness was lost. Millions of acres of potential wilderness have since been bulldozed. Wolke calls for The Wilderness Society to return to its mission of advocating for big wildernesses, as it was administered by Stewart Brandborg, or to disband and stop deceiving its membership. Wolke is also critical of the Montana Wilderness Association and the Greater Yellowstone Coalition, stating they suffer from the same shortcomings as the Big Green groups in Washington, D.C.

"I realize that a lot of what I just said is probably going to be profoundly disturbing to some people...but if I didn't bring some of these things up...then I would be neglecting a very important responsibility," Wolke said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6xWqoU8vo

mcds

Re: Wilderness Society shortcomings, Howie Wolke Speaks Out

Post by mcds » October 29th, 2014, 11:16 am

Jamie Williams is the current president of the Wilderness Society. Previously, it was Bill Meadows, who is featured in this 2011 Society video. From Meadows' words (starting at 1:10), clearly the Society has given up on big wilderness and adopted a multi-use stance.

http://youtu.be/6g8PXlsU3Ro?t=1m10s

drm

Post by drm » October 29th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I only got half-way through the first video you posted with the time I had available, so I'm not sure what the crux of the complaint is, but he seemed to be complaining most about people who compromise too much in the bills/laws that create new wilderness, and that they too easily accepted smaller wildernesses. And yet one of the biggest wildernesses in the lower 48 - Frank Church River of No Return - in central Idaho, would probably not have been created were it not for a compromise that allowed small aircraft to land on inholdings to serve ranches that serve tourists - for hunting and fishing. I don't know if Wolke considered that too much compromise or not, but I suppose it is in some sense a multi-use compromise.

In a democratic and pluralistic society, when and how much to compromise is pretty much what you always have to deal with if you want to accomplish almost anything that is in any way controversial, and Wolke did not say he was against any compromise. Although I don't get too much involved in politics here on ph.org, I have a long background in it and was once national secretary of the Green Party, and so have fought and debated many issues related to just this conundrum. I've seen plenty of people that I personally think were too much to one side or the other on the issue, and I think it is a tough issue. I also think that the larger cause can be served by having different people at different places in the debate. Radicals can move the center of the debate, allowing others to get more accomplished than they otherwise might - though never as much as those more radical (or principled if you prefer) would want.

So maybe there is no single best place that everybody should be in the debate.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » October 29th, 2014, 1:49 pm

"..Wolke is also critical of the hiring of former timber industry lobbyist Mark Rey."

That is simply unbelievable. That's like a church hiring Larry Flynt.

Rey not only lobbied against wilderness, he lobbied against ANY proposal that might stop a public lands tree from being cut.

drm

Post by drm » October 29th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Hired by whom? I googled and found nothing about him working for the WS. He was hired under the Bush Administration, aside from all his timber-related jobs. His wikipedia bio says nothing about the Wilderness Society. I did find a lot of court cases where the WS sued him.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 29th, 2014, 3:22 pm

drm - Wolke gets into specifics in the second half of his talk, right about the point where I began writing it off as another rant with no specifics that can be fact-checked. But then the talk becomes concise with lots of details. It's up to you, of course, to listen to the second half.

I googled "mark rey" "wilderness society". The relationship between the two was on the first page of results, twice. Rey registered the Wilderness Society as being one of his clients. Here is a listing:
Byron Tau wrote:NEW LOBBYING REGISTRATIONS:
Mark Rey: The Wilderness Society
Politico Influence - Intelligence and analysis on lobbying
By BYRON TAU | 10/10/14 2:01 PM EDT
With help from Adam Sneed

Then I googled "mark rey" "wilderness society" lobbying which returned on the first page of results, a Washington Post article with this:
Paul Lewis in the Washington Post wrote:Bill Meadows, president of the Wilderness Society, has hiked through forests in California, Idaho and Montana with Rey, whom he calls a friend.
Thick Forests, Thick Issues for Rey
By Paul Lewis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 20, 2007
Last edited by mcds on October 29th, 2014, 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 29th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Wolke talks about the huge salaries earned by top execs. Here is one report:
In 2010, Carl Pope of the Sierra Club made about $235,800. Frances Beinecke, president of the Natural Resources Defense Council, took home $432,700 last year, while Wilderness Society President William Meadows earned more than $390,600.
More details on the second page of the full story.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 29th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Wolke talks about the big environmental groups undercutting the efforts of smaller grassroots groups. Actually, the big environmental groups are a single massive covert and exclusionary group, the Collaborative Environmental Campaign, or CEC.

Environmental Umbrella Group Stays Under Wraps
By SUZI PARKER | 4/10/07 4:17 PM EDT
Suzi Parker wrote: For any group, to be under the radar in the 21st century is a monumental challenge. That especially goes for one that is lobbying in Washington.

But the Collaborative Environmental Campaign, a coalition of 20 environmental organizations, has been very strategic, and successful, at remaining secret. In fact, the CEC is practically un-Google-able (three hits as of Tuesday), and that suits it just fine. The reason for its covertness? The CEC wants its member organizations, not the coalition, to get the glory.

Most of the information about CEC comes from a paper by two graduate students at Yale University. Dahvi Wilson and Jennifer Krencicki studied the CEC as part of a larger, two-year project that resulted in their master's thesis from the university's School of Forestry and Environmental Studies last May. The pair had unprecedented access to CEC members because the students agreed to let members see the report before it was published.

The CEC formed in 2000 as a fiscal subsidiary of the Partnership Project, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that includes 21 of the nation's largest environmental advocacy groups such as the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, the National Resources Defense Council and the Wilderness Society. Its intent was to create a structure that would allow environmentalists to organize and mobilize.

"In June 2000, many of us recognized that whatever 'compassionate conservatism' meant and with the discussions we had with candidate Bush's policy staff people in his campaign operation, we were likely to face attempts at rolling back environmental rules," said Philip E. Clapp, president of the National Environmental Trust, another CEC member. "We needed to be prepared with a coordinated operation to confront that."

Clapp said that regardless of whether George W. Bush or Al Gore won the White House, environmental groups needed to be organized. "We knew that if there was a Gore administration, there would be new proposals and we would have to respond quickly," he said.

The CEC doesn't have offices in Washington. In fact, it has no office at all. Instead, the coalition lobbies on Capitol Hill and at the grass-roots level using media, opinion research and numerous paid organizers in key congressional states such as Arkansas, Nebraska and Pennsylvania. The CEC, through the Partnership Project, grants money to organizations that are working on various environmental causes at either the federal or state level.

In a closely divided Senate, it's important for the organizers to focus on the states that have moderate "swing" senators who sometimes vote with, and sometimes against, the environmental position of their own party. For example, Sen. Blanche L. Lincoln (D-Ark.) voted to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge but then co-sponsored a bill with Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) that would radically alter the Endangered Species Act.

"Technically there is no CEC," said Bill Meadows, president of the Wilderness Society. "There are a number of national environmental organizations who informally agree to policy initiatives. We try to make certain we work together in a collaborative fashion. We pool resources and expertise.

"We have to do it together," he continued. "When a campaign heats up, CEC members gather daily to work on the shared effort. The Wilderness Society might have a lot of members in Denver, Audubon might have a lot in Connecticut, Sierra Club in California, then you have a national power base of environmental organizations that can create pressure in Washington."

The CEC meets regularly by phone to focus on priorities such as endangered species, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and policies banning the construction of new roads in national forests and protected areas. Actions are taken in the names of the organizations involved, however, not in the name of the CEC. Not every member gets involved in every campaign.

"We can mobilize around specific issues," Meadows said. "We get engaged in campaigns we want to win. We don't choose them because they happen to be the issue of the moment."

He cited the successful campaign to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as a CEC campaign that worked by the book; no one member could have pulled it off alone. In that fight, CEC organizers sponsored lobby days with state activists who were bused to Washington. Activists also generated thousands of letters, e-mails and phone calls to key elected officials. CEC organizers held news conferences, made office visits and ran paid ads in the key districts.

The tactics are similar in the current campaign over climate change. Now, however, CEC organizers and their activist base are enjoying not having to play defense as they have in the past. Prior to last November's election, the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee was chaired by Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), a dedicated skeptic of global warming. Under the new chairman, Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), an environmental proponent, global warming is the committee's top priority.

The CEC gets funding from the Pew Charitable Trusts, the Energy Foundation, the Packard Foundation and numerous other foundations. According to the Wilson and Krencicki study, the Partnership Project, with the CEC, had a $2.3 million budget last year.

"It's not a lot of money," said Meadows. "It's enough to sometimes run newspaper or radio ads and raise visibility of the issues."

The only public face for the Partnership Project and the CEC is a website, http://www.saveourenvironment.org. But the CEC is not mentioned. Press releases on the site have contacts that are connected to one of the coalition members. More visibility would certainly increase fundraising, especially important these days when everyone from Gore to Newt Gingrich is peddling a green agenda.

But the CEC is happy to remain in the shadows. "It works the way it works," Meadows said. "These days, we are able to work more effectively to try and lay out a positive agenda instead of defending bad initiatives."

drm

Post by drm » October 30th, 2014, 6:54 am

When I do a web search on Rey and the Wilderness Society, mostly I find cases where the WS has sued him. Then there is one link in which on one line he lists the WS as a client. That's odd, but I wouldn't really know what to make of it without further info. This is the internet and we need to be careful of things that seem to defy what is mostly there. And I don't care if he is friends with somebody in the environmental movement. Agreement on politics is not a mandatory requirement for my friends, and I think it is healthy to have friends who you disagree with.

As to the national environmental groups, capture by the Washington DC culture has long been a problem for them (and indeed for any group that focuses on DC lobbying). Cooptation is how the system works and fighting it is a challenge and is important. The split between many grassroots environmental groups and the national lobbying groups has been around for decades and much debated. Nonetheless I come back to what I said above: deciding when compromise is appropriate is not a simple decision, IMHO. Despite their problems, the national groups do have accomplishments to their names. That they decide to have a private group to consult with each other is no big deal. If there was no group, they would still call each other on the phone and talk, just like the smaller groups do all the time. That it has no internet presence might just mean that it is a pretty thin grouping and not very significant, not some hidden conspiracy.

I'm sorry that I don't have the time to watch multiple videos. I don't much watch videos on trip reports here either. I find that videos take up too much time - when reading text I can scan and skip as I want. With a video, you don't know what you're missing if you do that. In this case, I watched the first half - 17 minutes! and the stuff I needed to see was on the second half? If it had been a transcript, I would have skipped forward and found it. I know that many people prefer videos these days, but I don't.

raven

Post by raven » October 30th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Youtube gives the option of starting videos at points within. Go to the desired starting point and (on my computer) right clicking provides an option for continuing from that location.

IMO, if you want a discussion, it would be better to summarize arguments and to specify the relevant minutes on a video in addition to starting the video at a relevant point.