The Hazards of Trash Pickup

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: The Hazards of Trash Pickup

Post by retired jerry » October 30th, 2014, 1:34 pm

pick it up with one of those grabbers that you squeeze the handle and the grabbers close? Then you don't have to touch any of it.

Gloves can be good, but if there's a hole you don't notice, then the liquid will get between your skin and the inside of the glove and be held there, absorbing into the skin, for a long time.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 30th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Lurch wrote: If you guys are actually going to be picking this stuff up, I would highly highly *highly* recommend getting a legitimate sharps container for needles, and some biohazard bags and gloves for the bio bits..
was inclined to say the same, and it'd need to be a portable sharps container that won't loose it's contents if dropped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=portabl ... containers

dirt farmer

Post by dirt farmer » October 30th, 2014, 10:31 pm

retired jerry wrote:pick it up with one of those grabbers that you squeeze the handle and the grabbers close? Then you don't have to touch any of it.
This right here ^^^^

I car camp at campgrounds dozens of days a year, and one of the very first things I do after setting up camp is to go around to each (vacant) site and pick up every little bit of trash using one of these pickers. Under picnic tables, in fire rings, on parking pads, etc.

I have picked up several condoms, and two tampons (but luckily no syringes). Oddly enough, I once picked up three condoms in one day at the Riverside campground along Hwy 22 near Marion Forks. Each was in a site far distant from one another!