The Hazards of Trash Pickup

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Eric Peterson

Re: The Hazards of Trash Pickup

Post by Eric Peterson » October 25th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Pearl St., Oregon City has a Pearl district too?

raven

Post by raven » October 25th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Posting the name and address on this site is not necessary for your story and is inappropriate for a number of reasons. (Among them is slander.) Please take the photo down.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 25th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Forestkeeper, its a matter of respecting someones privacy by not publicly publishing their mailing address on the web without their permission. It most definitely was stolen....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 25th, 2014, 8:37 pm

You should look again. It's Pearl Street, Oregon City, not Pearl District NW Portland.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 25th, 2014, 8:42 pm

I agree, you should delete that picture

even though you can't "unring that internet bell"

that could be a letter to an innocent person

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 25th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Thanks for the warning FK. I havent picked up near the amounts of trash you have but have come across several of the hazardous items you listed in the small bunch I have picked up. Good on you for making this thread.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 26th, 2014, 4:27 am

Arlo Guthrie wrote:He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."
8-)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » October 26th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Pearl St., Oregon City

Pearl Street in Oregon City is one of the lowest income parts of our town. Very ran down, and a hotspot for homeless people. Not surprised!

Regarding shooters, since Obama got in office, nobody has been leaving their brass on the ground. I used to pickup buckets full and get a nice chunk of change. Not anymore, the stuff is too expensive for them to leave. They still leave their shot up garbage tho.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 29th, 2014, 9:00 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Thanks for the warning FK. I havent picked up near the amounts of trash you have but have come across several of the hazardous items you listed in the small bunch I have picked up. Good on you for making this thread.
Agreed. Perhaps lost in the envelope debate is that Forest Keeper does a lot of great work. I'll usually pack out a bit of trash each hike I go on (and there is a lot on many of the trails near me in NJ, which are never too far from large populations) but never anything like what Forest Keeper (or Sean) manages.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » October 30th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I bit off topic from the general thread, but I'm still stuck on the biohazard and needles...

If you guys are actually going to be picking this stuff up, I would highly highly *highly* recommend getting a legitimate sharps container for needles, and some biohazard bags and gloves for the bio bits..

There are places you can dispose of it in portland, that kind of thing shouldn't be in the normal garbage