hunting season

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

Re: hunting season

Post by Koda » October 24th, 2014, 8:50 am

retired jerry wrote:It just seems like a gun is in the same category as an engine - a man made structure. No resaon to make an exception.
so is a backpack, hiking shoes, a goretex jacket, canister stove and a tarp shelter. The difference is none of those violate the Wilderness Act but an engine does.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

drm

Post by drm » October 24th, 2014, 10:36 am

I think the issue is not manmade so much as mechanical, at least when it comes to temporary usage in wilderness (as opposed to permanent manmade structures). Bicycles are not allowed and are considered to be mechanical. Skis are allowed. But I also think that handheld objects don't seem to be included the way transportation technologies are. Think of cameras, phones, and all manner of fancy technology that people bring.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 24th, 2014, 11:53 am

Horses aren't "natural" in North America. They are an imported species. Guess we better figure out a way to more strictly enforce some people's ideas of Wilderness regulations. Find a way to keep everyone and everything out since we all won't agree on what belongs there, temporary or otherwise. :roll:

At least don't bring a stove. Flammable liquid fuel isn't natural, much less a contraption to burn it so you can have hot food. (That right there is sarcasm)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

xrp

Post by xrp » October 24th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Lumpy wrote: At least don't bring a stove. Flammable liquid fuel isn't natural, much less a contraption to burn it so you can have hot food. (That right there is sarcasm)
Look, don't tell me what to do.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 24th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Obey!

drm

Post by drm » October 25th, 2014, 6:27 am

Lumpy wrote:Horses aren't "natural" in North America.
Hah. Natural and endemic are not the same thing.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 25th, 2014, 10:31 am

I know, and thank you for giving the exclusionary types a little something more to think about. ;)

romann

Post by romann » October 26th, 2014, 9:50 pm

I've seen plenty of hunters on my hikes, one time like Jeremiah said when we hiked in Goat Rocks' Lily Basin in July - we were a bit surprised because it seemed way off season (and they were at least 5 miles from the road). Didn't ask them what animal they were for.

One time I took my family in the Indian Heaven (Thomas Lake trail - yes the most crowded one!) and one hunter - clearly a newbie - with the bow, full camo and a net over his backpack almost kicked my dog, started shouting he didn't want to get dog smell, etc. He didn't even step off trail, wanted us to do it for him. With at least half dozen groups with dogs ahead of us, I hope he gave up early and never went hunting again ;) (he certainly had a slim chance of seeing wildlife in such popular area). That's this type than can tilt my neutral attitude toward hunters into negative territory.

I don't generally have big concern just seeing people with guns - got used to it at my "gun-friendly" workplace. It's more about their attitude/soberity/age etc. The biggest chance to see the hunters is near the road, much less likely deep in the woods. I always wear orange in the woods this time of the year, same goes for Pepper. Nearing the trailhead, I turn on my head lamp if its at/after sunset, even if it's not dark.

Just wonder how much camo really matters for hunters - aren't deer and elk lack color vision?
DSC_7138.JPG

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 27th, 2014, 9:49 am

Just wonder how much camo really matters for hunters - aren't deer and elk lack color vision?

I don't hunt, but I can tell you that the main purpose of camo designs is to break up your outline against a similar background. The color is far less important in hunting, which is why some hunting camo designs incorporate blaze orange. Color does count in military camo.

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » October 27th, 2014, 5:31 pm

This thread was highly entertaining....thanks for the laughs! :lol: :roll: :D :mrgreen: :shock: