hunting season

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Grannyhiker

Re: hunting season

Post by Grannyhiker » October 21st, 2014, 9:30 am

Wilderness areas are fully open to hunting, including modern firearms. You see fewer hunters there, though, because it's pretty hard to pack out a kill that far from roads without either hiring a horse packer (expensive) or making multiple trips in and out.

Washington state has an early buck season (generally Sept. 15-25) using modern firearms, specifically for the wilderness areas north of I-90.. Since the hunter has to get close enough to see how many "points" are on the antlers, there is far less random shooting ("rustle shots") than in regular deer season.

xrp

Post by xrp » October 21st, 2014, 7:39 pm

retired jerry wrote:That is the hard way to get to Ramona Falls xrp :)
Yes, but overnight car parking is less likely to be clouted if parked at Timberline Lodge.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 21st, 2014, 8:38 pm

I really like the trail from the Sandy up to Paradise. Enough elevation gain and distance to get a good work out. Nice views at various places.

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 7:17 pm

retired jerry wrote:I really like the trail from the Sandy up to Paradise. Enough elevation gain and distance to get a good work out. Nice views at various places.
RJ, i remember that section being one of the most brutal of the entire TT. Started the day at Cairn Basin, finished at Paradise Park. Slept like a baby, though! :D
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 7:23 pm

retired jerry wrote:I thought firearms weren't allowed in wilderness areas

Bow and arrow are allowed in wilderness
Roman and i passed three hunters with rifles in Goat Rocks Wilderness in the middle of July. I am still not sure if that is legal, but they are out there.

Instagram @pdxstrider

xrp

Post by xrp » October 23rd, 2014, 7:48 pm

miah66 wrote:

Roman and i passed three hunters with rifles in Goat Rocks Wilderness in the middle of July. I am still not sure if that is legal, but they are out there.
Rifles, shotguns and pistols/revolvers are legal in National Forests.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 23rd, 2014, 8:44 pm

xrp wrote:
miah66 wrote:

Rifles, shotguns and pistols/revolvers are legal in National Forests.
There are a few animals which can be hunted, open season, all year long. But most hunters do not bother with them, because they are nuisance animals, not game animals. Also, just carrying the gun with you in the forest is not an infraction. It's when, where and at what you fire it that is the subject of the vast majority of the regulations.

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 8:50 pm

Aimless wrote:
There are a few animals which can be hunted, open season, all year long. But most hunters do not bother with them, because they are nuisance animals, not game animals. Also, just carrying the gun with you in the forest is not an infraction. It's when, where and at what you fire it that is the subject of the vast majority of the regulations.
thats true, im not 100% certain they were hunting, but all three were wearing full camoflauge. :? On the lilly basin trail, near angry mountain junction. They went ahead of us and we never saw them again. Dont remember hearing gunshots either. Its a Mystery.

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Post by Koda » October 24th, 2014, 7:34 am

miah66 wrote:thats true, im not 100% certain they were hunting, but all three were wearing full camoflauge.
Aimless is correct about year round hunting but my guess is those hunters were goat hunters, I don’t know Washington seasons but Goats, Bighorn, and Antelope are popular big game hunts hunted in summer here in Oregon. The seasons for those aren’t very long, but they are in Summer prime backbacking season… However the tags for those species are very limited and very hard to get so the numbers are low…. Most of those hunters are not the yahoo types IMO there is too much expense and effort involved with hunting those species.

Im wondering if what Jerry was thinking is that years ago it was illegal to take a gun into a National Park. I cant remember when this was repealed as it was unconstitutional but many people associate National Parks with Wilderness areas.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 24th, 2014, 8:23 am

It just seems like a gun is in the same category as an engine - a man made structure. No resaon to make an exception.

And I thought I heard that somewhere else.

But, I stand corrected :)

Most of the hunters, especially the less experienced ones I'de be more fearful of, probably don't go that far off the road so wilderness is probably fairly safe.