Can ghosts be unintentionally photographed in TR's?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
adamschneider

Re: Can ghosts be unintentionally photographed in TR's?

Post by adamschneider » September 30th, 2014, 11:31 am

Upon further review, the apparition above the lake is quite clearly the evil computer from "Tron":

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » September 30th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Maybe it is the ghost of Gifford Pinchot (the first Chief Forester of the US Forest Service) frowning because greenjello85 didn't pay his $1,500 fee to take pictures on forest service land.

If you did want to take a ghost picture for Halloween, you would use a neutral density filter on your camera lens to be able to get a long exposure in bright light, maybe about 8 seconds or so. Then you would have your "ghost" stand in the picture for 1/2 the time and then jump out of the frame. This would make them look transparent.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » September 30th, 2014, 5:40 pm

rainrunner wrote:Maybe it is the ghost of Gifford Pinchot (the first Chief Forester of the US Forest Service) frowning because greenjello85 didn't pay his $1,500 fee to take pictures on forest service land.

If you did want to take a ghost picture for Halloween, you would use a neutral density filter on your camera lens to be able to get a long exposure in bright light, maybe about 8 seconds or so. Then you would have your "ghost" stand in the picture for 1/2 the time and then jump out of the frame. This would make them look transparent.
Lol, is that $1500 per picture? I took 163:)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 1st, 2014, 6:47 am

Well, I did capture this apparition on the Old Vista Ridge trail in 2007:

...I'm pretty sure it's the ghost of a 1930s Forest Ranger, happy to see that we were once again tending his old trail.

Tom :-)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 1st, 2014, 9:07 am

Tom: I get the same ghost in my pictures on cold days too. Amazing how that ghost does not appear on any of the warm days. I guess we can all breath a little easier (when taking pictures) on warm days, right?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 1st, 2014, 7:21 pm

I think if you breathe heavily enough, you might even capture a ghost in warm weather, BigBear...! ;)