Golden age of hiking in the Oregon side of the Gorge?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pablo

Golden age of hiking in the Oregon side of the Gorge?

Post by pablo » September 28th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Today I hiked a number of trails starting with Nesmith Pt trail and ending up at Multnomah Lodge. I seem to recall stepping over one log on the Nesmith Point trail but from Yeon Mtn Rd to the Lodge I did not step over a single log across the trail. Someone (that you Sean Thomas or mcds?) has cleared the Horsetail Creek Trail from Yeon Mtn Rd to the intersection with Bell Creek - a lotta logs got cut for that one. And we know the work mcds did on Bell Creek, plus the brushing done by others. After Bell Creek I traveled Oneonta to Franklin Ridge then down to Larch Mtn trail. Not one log across the trail. Oneonta had some minor brush but Franklin Ridge has been brushed out.

Another trail that got some attention recently was Ruckel Creek. There have been 2 logs that have been across he trail forever - too big for me - but someone has cleared them in the past month or so.

Thanks to all who have done this work, your efforts are appreciated. Bell Creek is simply a wonder, yes there are tread issues but the work mcds et. al. have done on this trail is truly impressive.

[edit] I neglected to mention the work Sean Thomas has done on Tanner Creek, this is all good stuff.

Thanks again,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Guy

Re: Golden age of hiking in the Oregon side of the Gorge?

Post by Guy » September 28th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Well said Paul! Heartfelt thanks to Sean, MCDS & all the other trail tender heroes!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » September 29th, 2014, 12:00 am

Guy wrote:Well said Paul! Heartfelt thanks to Sean, MCDS & all the other trail tender heroes!
And a repeat of the same comment from here! Your work is really appreciated.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mcds

Post by mcds » October 1st, 2014, 10:14 am

Thanks.

I've been banned from posting reports of my trailwork by Splintercat.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » October 3rd, 2014, 9:18 am

mcds wrote:Thanks.

I've been banned from posting reports of my trailwork by Splintercat.
wha?? I wonder why....per the descriptions on the home page:

Trip Reports:This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails

Trail Q&A: Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A

I say, post away, and thanks so much for all your work!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 3rd, 2014, 12:04 pm

Well, that's not exactly what happened -- but since he's raising the issue out here on the forum, I did send a message to mcds a few weeks ago -- and it really applies to anyone out there doing anonymous trail tending, so I'll post it here as a general request:
Hello,

Just an FYI that I've had major complaints from both the USFS and my Trailkeepers of Oregon (TKO) crew leaders about work that you've done in the Gorge and subsequently posted on the Portland Hikers forum. I do realize that you're trying to do your part to keep trails open, but the fact is that you've nuked volunteer projects in the progress -- including TKO projects, where our volunteer crews arrived at a project site only to find that you've already worked there. Compounding the issue is that your work might be making trails passable, but isn't up to USFS (or TKO) standard.

TKO owns the Portland Hikers forum, so here's what I would request on behalf of TKO in the future:

1. Focus your trail efforts on un-maintained trails -- leave the popular trails to the USFS and groups like TKO that are already organized to keep them open. Trails like Tanner Creek, Moffett Creek, etc., are only maintained by unofficial tenders like you (if at all), so are a better place for your efforts.

2. Don't post trip reports for your trail tending projects -- it's causing friction between the USFS and TKO that is having a larger impact on the ability to maintain trails than you may realize.

As you probably know, I'm sympathetic to anyone who maintains trails anonymously and on their own time, but in this case, it's really a call that has to be made on behalf of TKO in the interested of organized volunteer projects. Per my first point, above, there are plenty of places the USFS is completely neglecting, so I hope you'll consider adopting those trails in lieu of the heavily traveled routes where volunteers are already scheduled to work.

Thanks in advance!
So, no banning here, just a friendly request after receiving what the TKO board deemed to be serious concerns.

For the record, I'd be the last to suggest that people not tend trails that will otherwise disappear, and the core purpose of TKO is to formalize that concern with more organized efforts to pick up where the USFS (and other agencies) have lagged. Not everyone wants to be part of an organized project, but for most it's a really easy and rewarding way to "pay it forward"! You can learn about upcoming TKO activities (and past projects, including Bell Creek in September!) on the TKO Events page.

@mcds: didn't hear back from you, but I do appreciate you honoring the request -- and your efforts to help keep our trails open.

Tom :)

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 3rd, 2014, 12:11 pm

There's always more than one side to a story. It's always been interesting to me to hear the different sides of a situation from those involved, to see how things happened, are interpreted, and then re-told.

People are funny, ain't they? :P
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

payslee

Post by payslee » October 3rd, 2014, 6:42 pm

You call that a "friendly request"? You tell him this his trailwork is inadequate, that his efforts are unwelcome, and that as the "Owner" of this forum you not only don't want hims to post about it but also want him to stay out of "your" trails?

This forum used to make me feel really good about the hiking community here. It saddens me that apparently we are all just "owned" by "TKO".

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 3rd, 2014, 7:22 pm

I have a difficult time reading Splintercat's request in the extremely negative light payslee seems to cast it in.

As for our being "owned by TKO", I find that many people have a hard time understanding the concept of an internet web site as belonging to the person or organization that pays for it. Most of us seem to have no trouble understanding that if we write a letter to the editor of newspaper, the newspaper may choose not to publish it, because it is owned and operated by a publisher, not by us. A web site is similar.

TKO is the owner and publisher of this site, just as much as if it were a newspaper. They are very encouraging of almost anything we choose to upload here, but that doesn't mean they cannot discourage things that are actively causing them trouble and interfering with their goals. I thought Splintercat's explanation was very courteous, compared almost any other method he could have chosen to handle it.

No doubt, this thread will attract quite a bit of comment from many points of view. We should recognize it is TKO that foots the bill and makes this discussion possible. We are all guests here.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 3rd, 2014, 8:04 pm

Tom's request isn't meant to offend anyone. Trail crews, whether volunteer or federal, operate at a cost. In those certain circumstances that an area has been marked for a brushout, time and money is being spent to organize and dispatch a crew out, whether it's a mile up a trail or ten miles. Then after the trail crew arrives and sees that someone has already cleared that area; time, money, sweat and the aches and pains of carrying equipment has been wasted. I used to perform unauthorized brushouts, before joining the FS, thinking I was doing a good deed. But now it has to be requested and being I'm a federally certified sawyer, I have to have a swamper (aid) with me at all times. But that's only for my protection. But if you do tend a few of the more "unofficial" trails, just try to keep to the 4' x 8' Rule. The tread's max width should be 4' and the height needs to be 8'. Cut growth as close to the ground and when pruning, cut the branches as close to the main branch as possible. Throw cut material at least 4' on the downside of the trail. :)