So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

Re: So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

Post by Koda » September 20th, 2014, 11:03 am

I think were overthinking things, who cares about Facebook. I like your post, photo, comment... I dont want to say thankyou, its not the same thing.... and its that simple.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2014, 11:12 am

Y'know, it could be even more useful acknowledging (non-question) responses to TRs, rather than the TRs themselves? Not that a "Thanks!" wouldn't do, too.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » September 20th, 2014, 1:57 pm

To offer an non-regular poster's perspective, I first favored the "like" button idea, but have since reconsidered. In my experience, people here are polite and reply with enough regularity that I've never felt ignored or excluded from the discussion. A look at my TR history makes clear that I don't even do anything interesting ("oh look, this random guy did Dog Mountain? How ever did he find that remote location?") and yet my occasional TRs still generate enough replies to be encouraging.

There may also be a risk of discouraging replies because people will lazily click "like" instead of thoughtfully replying. I'd rather have 3 decent replies than 19 "likes" but no discussion.

Another thing to consider, as a poster, is the necessity of one's TR. For example, I held off on adding a McNeil report in August, despite my sweet picture of the "47", because there were already two other reports on the main page. Had I given in to the temptation and posted, it's possible no one would have replied because any related discussion was surely contained within the other threads.

Anyway, if a "like" or "thanks" button gets added I will probably use it occasionally but don't think it is necessary either.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Okay, I missed it, you posted pictures of the "47"????

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » September 20th, 2014, 2:05 pm

retired jerry wrote:Okay, I missed it, you posted pictures of the "47"????
No actually, because I was concerned my McNeil report would be redundant with so many others on the main page. However, it was pretty clear, although looked much more like "77" than anything else.

We're getting off topic aren't we? Can I "like" the 47?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Do you have a picture?

And is the "47" a clue left by space aliens or is it just shadows that sort of look like the number "47"?

It's a good mystery because it's so hard to get up there and resolve...

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » September 20th, 2014, 2:13 pm

retired jerry wrote:Do you have a picture?

And is the "47" a clue left by space aliens or is it just shadows that sort of look like the number "47"?

I do have a picture. I'll dig it up and post it in the "believe it or not thread" as soon as I have it on a server somewhere. And I think it was space aliens leaving the message as a way of saying they like Mt Hood, but in a really superficial way because they didn't feel like a posting a longer message on the mountain.

Koda

Post by Koda » September 20th, 2014, 2:17 pm

sgyoung wrote:
retired jerry wrote:Do you have a picture?

I do have a picture. I'll dig it up and post it in the "believe it or not thread" as soon as I have it on a server somewhere. And I think it was space aliens leaving the message as a way of saying they like Mt Hood, but in a really superficial way because they didn't feel like a posting a longer message on the mountain.
If I had a like button I would like this post.... lol

I would also like to see another photo of the 47....

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

sgyoung wrote:I'd rather have 3 decent replies than 19 "likes" but no discussion.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » September 20th, 2014, 2:58 pm

kepPNW wrote:
sgyoung wrote:I'd rather have 3 decent replies than 19 "likes" but no discussion.
isnt that the antithesis of not wanting a "like" button... ? :P