So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Re: So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2014, 6:16 am

vibramhead wrote:I'd favor a Thank You button. I'd prefer not to use Like, because who needs to imitate Facebook?
Good Point, "Thankyou Button" works for me.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 20th, 2014, 7:58 am

Just please don't do both a "Like" AND a "Thanks" button. That's clearly overkill.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 20th, 2014, 8:09 am

Just wondering about the effect of the extra memory needed for all the "likes" and/or "thanks" on the server charges for PH… I don't think either is necessary, since it's easy for those concerned to see how many hits a thread has gotten. Why clutter up the forum any more? I certainly won't use it!

I have long since stopped commenting on most trip reports. I no longer read all of them, either, especially if they are for the strenuous hikes that I can no longer do, or if it's the 20th report of the year on Angel's Rest or Eagle Creek. That doesn't mean those reports aren't good; it's just a matter of having to prioritize my time. Other interests I've recently taken up have not supplanted my interest in hiking and backpacking, but do reduce the amount of time I have for hiking forum activities.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 20th, 2014, 8:48 am

A Thank You button would be preferable to a Like button (because I don't "like" the FB connection), but I don't favor either one. If someone takes the time to post a trip report, that is fine thing and I am genuinely thankful for it. I can't think of many trip reports that wouldn't merit a thank you, so what would be the point of collecting a bunch of Thank You clicks for every TR?

I'm probably guilty of occasionally posting a brief "great report" comment, but I try to offer something specific when I comment on a TR and I certainly appreciate it when I get specific feedback after posting a TR. Clicking a button seems like a very impersonal response that would just add clutter and noise to the site.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 20th, 2014, 9:05 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Just wondering about the effect of the extra memory needed for all the "likes" and/or "thanks" on the server charges for PH…
Negligible.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2014, 9:11 am

adamschneider wrote:
Grannyhiker wrote:Just wondering about the effect of the extra memory needed for all the "likes" and/or "thanks" on the server charges for PH…
Negligible.
Yeah, biggest hit is almost certainly bandwidth (ie, embedded, rather than linked, photos).
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Limey

Post by Limey » September 20th, 2014, 9:23 am

I fall in the category of not having a like button. I really don't think it's necessary. A Thank you button would be okay but I would probably not use it.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 20th, 2014, 9:30 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:A view doesn't show appreciation.
And a Like does? A Like is cheap, so easy to do you don't even have to look at the post to click it. It's yet another mechanosocial concoction that encourages frivolous clatter at the expense of meaningful interaction.

(I apparently feel stronger about it than I thought when the topic first came up. :lol: )

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » September 20th, 2014, 10:37 am

texasbb wrote:A Like is cheap, so easy to do you don't even have to look at the post to click it. It's yet another mechanosocial concoction that encourages frivolous clatter at the expense of meaningful interaction.
You have a point there. Let's make it a Happy Trails button instead! :lol:
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

tednottodd

Post by tednottodd » September 20th, 2014, 10:52 am

+1