So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

Post by Guy » September 19th, 2014, 6:05 pm

This topic came up after Forest Keepers post about bothering to post when there is little or no feedback.

I think a like button is great idea. It's a simple way to show that we have read someones report & enjoyed it but have nothing to add to it in the form of a comment.

In FC's report there were lots of comments about the altruistic nature of posting but lets be honest. Most of us regular posters would post less often (if at all) if we never got any feedback or generated any discussions from our posts.

I often find myself replying even though I have nothing to add just because I want to recognize the work & time of the person who took the time to write the post. I like button would be a good way to do this.

So I'm sure there are lots of other opinions on this topic so lets hear them.
Last edited by Guy on September 19th, 2014, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Re: So lets talk about a "Like Button" :)

Post by Eric Peterson » September 19th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » September 19th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Another forum I use has forum SW that has a "like" and a "Thanks" feature. It's unobtrusive, shows you who "Liked" or "Thanks" your post, and notifies you at the top of the screen when someone has takes that action with one of your posts.

When reading a post, if you want to "Like" the post or "Thank" the poster, you just click on one or the other while signed in, and keep moving on.

I have no idea if these features are available on this forum's SW. It would have to be available or be able to be written in if the license agreement allowed it.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 19th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Don't Like.

Seems useless for any purpose other than cluttering things up. Number of views gives you an indication of the level of interest in you, your destination or topic, and/or your subject writing. Number of replies gives you an indication of how many people know you and/or the level of interest in your writing.

Vote NO for more clutter.

Now I'm gonna start a thread on eliminating stickies. :)

Koda

Post by Koda » September 19th, 2014, 6:57 pm

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 19th, 2014, 7:43 pm

No like like button.

romann

Post by romann » September 19th, 2014, 8:21 pm

I think a like button is great idea. It's a simple way to show that we have read someones report & enjoyed it but have nothing to add to it in the form of a comment.
Don't like.

What if report doesn't get any "likes" - will it say the author that his/her reports don't get attention, in the same way as expecting and not getting replies (which is, imho, the wrong reason to post report in the first place)? Some people don't bother, while others may eventually stop posting because of this.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 19th, 2014, 8:39 pm

A view doesn't show appreciation. I like the idea of a "Thank you" button. How much space can it take, really?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 19th, 2014, 8:40 pm

romann wrote:
What if report doesn't get any "likes" - will it say the author that his/her reports don't get attention, in the same way as expecting and not getting replies (which is, imho, the wrong reason to post report in the first place)? Some people don't bother, while others may eventually stop posting because of this.
Valid point.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » September 20th, 2014, 5:47 am

I'd favor a Thank You button. I'd prefer not to use Like, because who needs to imitate Facebook?
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.