2014 Fall Color thread -- sorry

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Steve20050

Re: 2014 Fall Color thread -- sorry

Post by Steve20050 » September 23rd, 2014, 10:17 pm

The backcountry of Mount Margaret at Mount St. Helens is coming along nicely. Not as far along as Robin's Wallowa photos yet. Lots of yellowing grasses and reds of the huckleberry are starting to show up higher up on the boundary trail. I spent the last 3 days there until rained out. Sorry still take film captures, but it looks like from here on is prime time to go. Hopefully these showers will clear out some of the smoke I saw around the volcanic peaks. Maybe settle some of those crazy ash clouds I was watching today up on St. Helens from my perch on a very windy Mount Margaret.

I was sitting up by what I call stump rock where the wind was a bit calmer as it has a great view. Anyone that has hiked the trail probably knows this spot. On the switchbacks leaving Margaret camp headed up over Mount Margaret, there is a boulder protruding out into the trail with an ancient stump on top of it. You basically grab the roots to get around the rock. I always wonder who the lucky recipient is going to be when that boulder and stump decide it's time to go. :shock:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 24th, 2014, 5:13 am

Steve20050 wrote:I was sitting up by what I call stump rock where the wind was a bit calmer as it has a great view. Anyone that has hiked the trail probably knows this spot. On the switchbacks leaving Margaret camp headed up over Mount Margaret, there is a boulder protruding out into the trail with an ancient stump on top of it.
This is the one that comes right to mind! Not sure it's the same, but it sure caused us to pause. Partly, I think, because that boulder was so green compared to most of the other rocks around there.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » September 24th, 2014, 10:18 am

Yes, thanks Karl. That looks right. I hadn't seen this in 5 or 6 years. I notice the roots used for hand holds coming down around the rock. All that soil around the rock and stump has washed away significantly more though. Your shot doesn't show the steep drop next to this and why anyone would grab onto the roots :P . Maybe it's just me with my over weight pack ;) Thanks, I did get a new shot, (some day) :lol: My wife lets me go out on these adventures so I stay home on those winter nights and work on the film photos I accumulated. Getting a pile to work with.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » September 26th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Near Boulder Lake.
Attachments
IMG_0324 (Large).JPG
Off the road near Boulder/Bonney.

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » October 6th, 2014, 11:41 am

I've been researching the best fall color hikes, so this thread is timely! I'm looking for ideas on where to go for fall color on Mount Hood this week and next while this fantastic weather continues. Any suggestions?

One of my favorite places for fall color is in Indian Heaven Wilderness. http://www.outdoorproject.com/blog-news ... wilderness

September 20th hike to Blue Lake
additional photos: http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com/india ... blue-lake/

September 27th hike from Cultus Creek Campground to Lemei Rock
additional photos: http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com/india ... emei-rock/

Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 6th, 2014, 8:06 pm

LisaDHolmes wrote:I'm looking for ideas on where to go for fall color on Mount Hood this week and next while this fantastic weather continues. Any suggestions?
I haven't been up there yet this year, but the first two weeks of October are a good time to visit Tamanawas Falls. You'll see some lovely fall foliage along that gorgeous little creek.

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » October 7th, 2014, 10:25 am

I haven't been up there yet this year, but the first two weeks of October are a good time to visit Tamanawas Falls. You'll see some lovely fall foliage along that gorgeous little creek.
Thanks! I've heard that Tamanawas is quite nice this time of year. I think I was too late last year (November), and I went there earlier this year when wildflowers on the upper loop trail were blooming.

I lead hikes for the NW Women's Sea to Summit Adventures Meetup group, and on Thursday, I'm planning a hike to Lookout Mountain and/or Flag Point to see the Western Larches in their gold fall colors. With the forecast of rain coming very soon, I want to get one more higher elevation hike in while the weather is so gorgeous.

I did a loop around Mount Hood Meadows to see Umbrella Falls and Sahalie Falls over the weekend, and I could see a couple of golden larches in the nearby slopes to the east, so I'm hoping that I'm not too early to see the best display. There were quite a few bright red and orange vine maples along highway 35 over the weekend.
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » October 11th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Nice colors along the upper reaches of the Ramona Falls Trail today.
Attachments
1537961_752598744812287_5094419287564902907_o.jpg
1522741_752599801478848_2714947071957965527_o.jpg
1658324_752599744812187_8091852080813701164_o.jpg
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Underwater Arsonist

Post by Underwater Arsonist » October 11th, 2014, 8:29 pm

I always feel like my shots pale in comparison to some of the member's posts on here, oh well. :) One day I'll get a fancy DSLR. For now there's crappy phone photography.
Vine maple around Skookum Lake:
Image Image
There was what I believe to be a large heron of some sort when I first showed up that I saw fishing. You can barely make it out center left above a tree. Seems like a good place for bird watching as a large bird startled me the first time I came here, making a loud noise dipping into the water to catch a fish.

weekend_warrior

Post by weekend_warrior » October 17th, 2014, 10:07 am

any color updates? Weather on Sunday looks nice, can't decide where to go...