2014 Fall Color thread -- sorry

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
justpeachy

Re: 2014 Fall Color thread -- sorry

Post by justpeachy » September 20th, 2014, 8:38 pm

The way I originally worded it I made it sound like I don't go hiking during the nine-months of non-summer. I enjoy summer hiking the most (that's what I was getting at) but I do hike year-round. I really need a periodic dose of nature through the long winter to get me through.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2014, 10:08 pm

justpeachy wrote:but I do hike year-round.
Where's that Like button? :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 21st, 2014, 12:23 pm

Mountain Ash on the Timberline Trail, looking towards Gnarl Ridge, bring your own dog.

ImageJust chillin' on the last hike of this summer. by Janice L, on Flickr
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2014, 12:38 pm

I didn't see a lot of blueberries on Mt Hood but I did see a lot of Mountain Laurel Ash berries a week ago

Bears eat a lot of them

At Paradise Park a few years ago I saw a bear eating them, then humans came along, then bear ran off and the humans never saw it

I saw some blue bear poop a week ago so it was eating blueberries. But just one spot. Bears must be eating at lower elevation

Next month or two should be good bear viewing around the Timberline Trail

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 21st, 2014, 12:48 pm

retired jerry wrote:I didn't see a lot of blueberries on Mt Hood but I did see a lot of Mountain Laurel Ash berries a week ago

Bears eat a lot of them

At Paradise Park a few years ago I saw a bear eating them, then humans came along, then bear ran off and the humans never saw it

I saw some blue bear poop a week ago so it was eating blueberries. But just one spot. Bears must be eating at lower elevation

Next month or two should be good bear viewing around the Timberline Trail
All the blueberries were gone on the lower portion of the trail, but I didn't see many green ones this year either. I did see claw marks on a tree a little higher up on the trail. Lots of Elk prints on the the whole length of the trail, my friend saw a glimpse of antlers moving through the forest and of course we saw bow hunters as well.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2014, 12:53 pm

I saw a bow hunter on Timberline Trail about WyEast Basin a couple years ago.

Maybe we can be less afraid of bow hunters because the range is less so less likely to accidentally shoot human?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 21st, 2014, 1:12 pm

retired jerry wrote:I saw a bow hunter on Timberline Trail about WyEast Basin a couple years ago.

Maybe we can be less afraid of bow hunters because the range is less so less likely to accidentally shoot human?
I personally don't worry too much about hunters. I do wear some orange during rifle season. Because I hike pretty popular hikes and avoid sunrise and sunset I have never heard a nearby gunshot during any of my hikes. I would guess that hunters are aware that busy trails spook the deer and elk. I have seen many bowhunters on Newton Creek and Elk Meadows but they are usually heading home or to camp when I see them.

I'm editing this comment to correct my statement about hearing gunshots. The one exception would be on the Salmon Butte trail before they moved the trailhead and decommissioned the road. It had a very convenient place for hunters to park as well as drive their vehicles into the trail for awhile.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Some reds and golds starting to appear in paradise park (from on top of Split Rock looking South). The light yesterday afternoon took on that golden appearance of early evening, most likely from all the smoke in the air from the fires.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 23rd, 2014, 12:12 pm

Tons of color in the Wallowas this weekend, especially in the Imnaha valley between Tenderfoot and Polaris Pass:

Just east of Polaris Pass.

Just west of the pass.

Between Frazier and Glacier Lakes.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 23rd, 2014, 12:20 pm

Beautiful, Robin.