Seeking w/e backpacking input, 2 nights not too far from PDX

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
orhikergirl

Seeking w/e backpacking input, 2 nights not too far from PDX

Post by orhikergirl » September 1st, 2014, 3:02 pm

I've done a lot of hiking in Oregon but not a lot of backpacking. Looking to do two nights mid Sept weekend.

Ideal - -
2-4 mi Friday afternoon
8-12 mi Saturday
3-5 mi Sunday

A bit of elevation would be good too - training for tougher hike in the fall. Considering Opal Creek or Red Lake. Would love input from more experienced backpackers.

adamschneider

Re: Seeking w/e backpacking input, 2 nights not too far from

Post by adamschneider » September 1st, 2014, 3:10 pm

I'm not sure you could squeeze that much distance out of Opal Creek — at least not along the most popular of the trails. Is there some reason you're not considering Mt. Hood?

orhikergirl

Post by orhikergirl » September 1st, 2014, 3:19 pm

adamschneider wrote:I'm not sure you could squeeze that much distance out of Opal Creek — at least not along the most popular of the trails. Is there some reason you're not considering Mt. Hood?
No reason - open to input. (starting w/the two that I mentioned as they'd be mentioned to me before). Have only backpacked once in Mt Hood area and would have to look up details to remember where as it was a while ago. Any favorites you would recommend?

THANKS.

Sheryl

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 1st, 2014, 3:40 pm

I'm not a backpacker myself (more of a day hiker), but there are many, many possibilities on Hood. Both the north side (McNeil Point, Cairn Basin, Elk Cove) and Paradise Park offer many opportunities for exploration once you're up on the mountain. Just look at a map and build a route!

For example, you could start from Top Spur and set up camp at McNeil Point (4 miles). Then, on the second day, you could explore all the way to Coe Creek and back, using loops through Eden Park and above/below McNeil, maybe even visiting Barrett Spur (not sure how many miles, but maybe 10?).

dirt farmer

Post by dirt farmer » September 5th, 2014, 8:56 am

How about South Sister?

Hike to Green Lakes the first day (easy!), and set up camp. (Be sure to only camp where it's designated!)

Head up South Sister 2nd day. You'll get your elevation gain.

Head back third day.