Cascades Carnivore Project needs your help!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

Cascades Carnivore Project needs your help!

Post by Splintercat » August 27th, 2014, 6:40 am

Please take a look at this invitation from Jocelyn Akins to help out with the Cascades Carnivores Project:

Citizen Scientist Volunteer Opportunity on the Cascades Carnivore Project

Are you interested in joining our volunteer crew this fall to survey and collect scats from rare, high-elevation carnivores in the Cascades Range? We are looking for dedicated hikers to choose at least 2 trails to hike along and collect carnivore scats through mid-October. You are free to select any 2 dates that work for you within this timeframe. If you want to do the dates on consecutive days, you will want to sign up for 2 different trails. Or if you would like to sign up for 2 well-spaced dates, you can chose the same trail and hike it twice. There will be no formal training for this position. We will send you supplies and our field protocol to guide you, and be available to answer your questions. As a scat collector, you will hike, photograph, and collect any putative mountain red fox, wolverine, and gray wolf scat for DNA analysis in order to investigate the conservation status and connectivity of these rare carnivores in the Cascade Range. You will need to supply a GPS and camera.

If you are interested in becoming a citizen scientist, please contact us at [email protected] and we will give you a list of the trails we are targeting this year.

Cheers,
Jocelyn

Jocelyn Akins, PhD Candidate
Canid Diversity and Conservation Laboratory, University of California Davis
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/cdcg/home.php

Project Coordinator, Cascades Carnivore Project
http://cascadescarnivoreproject.blogspot.com/
1514 Belmont ave
Hood River, OR 97031

drm

Re: Cascades Carnivore Project needs your help!

Post by drm » September 8th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Found one!
sample 2.jpg

raven

Post by raven » September 8th, 2014, 7:41 pm

It's highly recommended when photographing sign to place something of known size, such as quarter, on the ground beside it for scale. Simplifies identification. How big was the piece of scat?

drm

Post by drm » September 9th, 2014, 6:31 am

Since I brought it back in a test tube specifically provided by the Cascade Carnivore Project, such scaling was unnecessary. It was 2-3 inches long.

raven

Post by raven » September 9th, 2014, 9:51 am

To me its a matter of both communication and being polite. A quarter beside the scat would have made the picture more meaningful and valuable to viewers -- a better payoff to viewing the post.

drm

Post by drm » September 9th, 2014, 11:58 am

raven wrote:To me its a matter of both communication and being polite. A quarter beside the scat would have made the picture more meaningful and valuable to viewers -- a better payoff to viewing the post.
That's true, but I wasn't thinking of posting the photo when I took it. CCP wants me to take a picture of the samples I collect, and they get the "product" so shouldn't need the scale.