Starting to backpack this late spring/summer. What do I need

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Lamar2012

Starting to backpack this late spring/summer. What do I need

Post by Lamar2012 » April 15th, 2014, 5:29 pm

I would really love to start backpacking this spring/summer. There will be 3 of us. My husband, myself and our 5 (6 in August) year old daughter.

I've been trying to research online about what I absolutely need to begin. What gear would you all recommend? The more I can keep costs down the better. I will spend what I have though.

Any specific recommendations for a good tent That will fit 2 adults and 1 child? Also a good backpack. I'm thinking my daughter could carry a camelbak and snacks in her fannypack. Would my husband and I each need a backpack or would 1 fit what we need?

This would generally be for 1 night excursions. I only have 1 night off work do this. If I can be approved to come into work late one day we can maybe do 2 nights a couple times this summer.

I'm very excited, I love hiking and camping and have been wanting to do this for a long time.

Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

Grannyhiker

Re: Starting to backpack this late spring/summer. What do I

Post by Grannyhiker » April 15th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Thanks, Jerry! Lamar, particularly check out the articles listed in the left hand column of the page Jerry linked to. My own gear list is modeled on the "27-pound, 7-day gear list" shown there. While most of the models/brands I have are different from those shown, the weights are comparable (or slightly lighter).

Consider borrowing or renting gear or buying second-hand when starting out, particularly for the big ticket items. It's amazing what you can find that you already have or can dredge up at thrift stores or big box stores as shown in this article: http://hikinghq.net/dirtbag.html

For an encyclopedic list of various types of gear, there's Mark Verber's website: http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/index.html
At the end of each section, he lists a number of budget options. He also has links to a number of gear lists including low cost gear lists. A few of the links are dead, but most are live and well. He lists gear made by the "cottage" gear manufacturers who are the source of much of the truly innovative gear these days, sold via the internet rather than in stores.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 15th, 2014, 7:05 pm

I got that from you, thanks.

Someone else on portlandhikers.org is a moderator their.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Yes, that's aimless.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 16th, 2014, 12:43 am

When I think about a backpacking trip, I:

- Think light weight
- Think less is more
- Think about the experience and not the gear I think I need to enhance what will already be enjoyable as it is.

There was a time when I wanted everything in the camping section of GI Joes, to stuff it all in a backpack, and trudge around in the wilderness. Now, I pack only the things I know I will use each day, or the thing I need that is the reason for the whole trip (like a fishing pole if I am backpacking to lakes not near roads), and I refuse to carry anything more. My feet and legs thank me for not have to hump that heavy crap that I usually didn't even use around anymore. Your feet and legs will thank you, too, and with the added burden of carrying for the child, you won't want to carry any more than you absolutely must.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Just to add a few things:

It's a good idea to test out your gear in the back yard or on the patio or (if you have neither) in a nearby car-camping area. You really don't want to pitch your shelter for the first time on a dark and stormy night with soggy instructions in one hand and a flashlight in the other! Your first few real backpacking trips should be short overnighters, close enough to the trailhead that you can easily bail out if things go wrong. Some of those backyard, car camping or short practice trips should be in nasty weather so you learn how to cope with it--again, where bailing out is easy.

While most think of backpacks first, the generally accepted practice is to wait and buy your backpack last--you want one that's neither too big nor too small for your gear. The most important elements of a backpack are fit, fit and fit. The pack has to fit you, it has to fit your gear, and it has to be comfortable for you to carry for quite a few miles with all your gear (including food and water) inside.

Another reason for trying out your gear at home (or close to it) is so you can return it if it doesn't work for you. When I've gotten a new shelter, I've always set it up in my living room, "staking" it to furniture or heavy books. I then spend some time inside to see if it works for me. Then I pitch it in the back yard, in nice weather, with a plastic sheet (painters drop cloth) beneath to keep it clean. Again, I spend some time inside with my gear. I also put it up and take it down a number of times until the process becomes automatic. Only then I go ahead and seam seal if the shelter requires it. When I received my backpack (ordered online), I loaded up my gear, plus the equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food and a day's water, and "hiked" around the house for several hours. That's the most boring hike I've ever done, but at the end I knew the pack was a "keeper" and only then removed the tags and started going on trips. (BTW, that was a good test of my shoes, too!) I just bought a new sleeping pad and am spending several nights on the floor with it to be sure it's comfortable for me.

A number of items are so dependent on how they fit you that you may have to do a lot of trying out to discover what works for you. Shoes, of course, are the most personal, and the pack is next. Next is probably sleeping gear, especially your sleeping pad.

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » April 16th, 2014, 5:24 pm

If you're looking for deals.. sign up for https://www.theclymb.com/, http://www.reioutlet.com, http://www.steepandcheap.com/, etc.
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 16th, 2014, 7:17 pm

My wife and I just completed our first backpacking trip (two nights, three days). We carried:

- a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 tent, poles and stakes (enough room for us and the 30 pound dog with a bit extra. Gear went outside in the vestibule. This tent would be perfect for your situation).
- tarp to go under the tent and mallet for the stakes
- two Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bags in Big Agnes Girdle compression sacks (these sleeping bags mate together with some nice room in between for a dog or a kid :)
- dog's mini sleeping bag (waste of space in the end, as she slept with us ;)
- two 24 oz water bottles (full) and a squeeze filtration bottle for refills (empty)
- enough food for us and the dog for 3 days (we weren't hungry but we didn't bring any back either. About 1.75 lbs per person per day, plus the dog's)
- map, personal locator beacon, leatherman tool
- emergency weather radio and small toiletries and first aid/emergency kit
- cathole digger and toilet paper
- backpacking stove and isobutane canister, mess kit for cooking
- lighter, firestarter nuggets
- rainjackets and packable down coats (doubled as our pillows once in their pack sack)
- extra pair of socks each, and a winter hat each for additional warmth
- we wore the clothes on our backs and each brought one set of sleeping clothes each
- two pairs of sandals (as camp shoes)
- two Exped sleeping pads

She carried 22 pounds (including the weight of her REI Flash 62 pack). I carried 30 pounds (including the weight of my Gregory Savant 58 and my DSLR (our only luxury item). When we returned to the car, her pack was 20 pounds and mine was 25. We had zero waste, and nothing that we said, 'OH, I wish we'd had that! (except maybe some Jack Daniel's ;) I love my Gregory Savant pack and abhor the REI Flash 62 pack. My wife feels just the opposite, so it works for us!

The only thing that will probably vary will be your food, since you will need all the other stuff regardless of whether you go for one day or seven. It's a bummer that you can only get one night off work. It was really nice to wake up in camp and not have to pack up to leave. Instead, we did a nice dayhike and enjoyed another night by the fire before leaving the next morning. Also, you will want to pack your bags a couple days before and then repack, looking to remove any excess weight. I probably removed an extra four pounds of food, and maybe two pounds of miscellaneous items to get to the 22 and 30 pound pack weights. Although we have some ultra-lightweight gear, that is more by happenstance by hitting the REI used gear sales at the right time. Even so, we spent A LOT of money on this gear so if you guys aren't sure if you will continue backpacking or not, definitely take grannyhiker's advice to heart and rent your gear at REI.

We went to the Lower Deschutes River for this trip. Next, we are headed to Cedar Flats in Opal Creek Wilderness and then Siouxon Creek. Any of these would meet your needs for a first trip, although the Deschutes gets very hot beginning in May.

Hope this helps!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown