PCT 2014/2015

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Eric Peterson

Re: PCT 2014

Post by Eric Peterson » February 28th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Dude, I will bring you some real trail magic!!

GL man! :)

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » February 28th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Of course I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to provide some magic to one of our PHers! Congrats for taking on the journey.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 2nd, 2014, 8:28 am

Best of luck! I had a a former student who did the PCT and I quickly became an enthusiastic blog follower. Looking forward to reading yours.
Woodswalker

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 5th, 2014, 7:51 am

That's incredible. I can't wait to follow your adventure.

Have a safe journey.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

drm

Post by drm » March 5th, 2014, 11:04 am

You will need to post your trail angel wish list as you get close. NY steak, bacon cheeseburger, spaghetti and meatballs, snickers, IPA, Washington apples, mashed potatoes with butter or gravy, whatever. Just don't ask for sunshine (at least from us).

I wonder if there is any thought of leaving early this year given the low snowpack in the Sierra. Anything that gets you to the North Cascades early is good.

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » March 5th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Have a great hike! It is a life changing experience. The best part of the trail is that you'll make a lot of new friends.

Pm me if you have any questions.

Bouncer - PCT Class of 2012
PCT class of 2012

potato

Post by potato » March 5th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the support and kind wishes. 49 days and 10 hours until my flight leaves, I can't wait.

To answer the more specific questions/comments:

Payslee: I'm sure I'll be checking the mail sometimes, when I need a gear item replaced or something like that. I'd be happy to post those locations on my blog if it means more people will send me treats :)

Aimless: I do anticipate the mental part being the toughest. I read this book "Appalachian Trials" that talks about it. At this point I feel pretty excited about waking up and hiking every day, but we will see if that changes!

drm: With all the days of hiking I'm sure I'll have time to make a really solid list of foods I am craving. :) Yes, a lot of people are starting earlier this year. I have a friend who started Feb. 23 :shock: Apparently it's pretty lonely out there still.

scrambler2: Thanks! I have a few thru-hiker friends and contacts who I can ask questions of (also the PCT class of 2014 FB group), but my favorite question to ask is: what was the biggest shift you experienced in your perspective on life?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

turtle

Post by turtle » March 30th, 2014, 8:20 am

So does this mean your name will change to PCT Potato? Have a great, inspiring, and safe journey. The hiker who finishes last wins. You are going to love the John Muir section and the northern Cascades. See how many lakes over 10K that you can swim :D . I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your adventure.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » March 30th, 2014, 4:51 pm

turtle wrote:So does this mean your name will change to PCT Potato? Have a great, inspiring, and safe journey. The hiker who finishes last wins. You are going to love the John Muir section and the northern Cascades. See how many lakes over 10K that you can swim :D . I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your adventure.
I was wondering the same thing, though I was thinking something more like "dehydrated potato". Good Luck Joe, we are all envious for sure. As they say the worse day fishing is better than....

Guy

Post by Guy » March 30th, 2014, 5:39 pm

I was thinking something more like "dehydrated potato"
Bon Voyage Pomme de Terre!!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors