2014 Snow Level Thread

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
romann

Re: 2014 Snow Level Thread

Post by romann » December 4th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Forecast says 80% chance of snow on the ocean (Lincoln City) Thu night and Friday morning. Might be that rare chance for photography...

Also, don't forget about frozen waterfalls this weekend in the Gorge (here's frozen waterfall gallery for inspiration)

Guy

Post by Guy » December 5th, 2013, 9:18 am

romann wrote:Forecast says 80% chance of snow on the ocean (Lincoln City) Thu night and Friday morning. Might be that rare chance for photography...

Also, don't forget about frozen waterfalls this weekend in the Gorge (here's frozen waterfall gallery for inspiration)
Looking forward to photographing frozen waterfalls in the Gorge on Saturday. If I show up at the Meet n Deet limping with a bloody bandage around my head you will know why..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 5th, 2013, 9:59 pm

If I show up at the Meet n Deet limping with a bloody bandage around my head you will know why..
:lol: :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 20th, 2013, 7:04 am

We found very little snow (8-16") as high as 5100' on Tom Dick & Harry, yesterday.

There was about an inch-thick layer of ice, under an inch of snow, from Mirror Lake up to (and along parts of) the ridge, though. Pretty slippery stuff!

And Government Camp was seriously pathetic (2-4") at Ski Bowl.

Their efforts with the snow making machines seemed so futile, as to be sad. (They actually barked at us to, "Stay off the snow!" :lol:)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

xrp

Post by xrp » December 25th, 2013, 6:15 pm

kepPNW wrote:We found very little snow (8-16") as high as 5100' on Tom Dick & Harry, yesterday.
There was about an inch-thick layer of ice, under an inch of snow, from Mirror Lake up to (and along parts of) the ridge, though. Pretty slippery stuff!
And Government Camp was seriously pathetic (2-4") at Ski Bowl.
Their efforts with the snow making machines seemed so futile, as to be sad. (They actually barked at us to, "Stay off the snow!" :lol:)
Thanks for this report. I'm thinking about going backpacking this weekend and it looks like I won't need my snowshoes (Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness).

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » December 25th, 2013, 11:36 pm

I'm supposed to be snow camping this weekend and I'm starting to think that might not work. :( Clear Lake sno-tel is showing an inch of snow.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

xrp

Post by xrp » December 26th, 2013, 7:11 am

renegadepilgrim wrote:I'm supposed to be snow camping this weekend and I'm starting to think that might not work. :( Clear Lake sno-tel is showing an inch of snow.
I was going to go snowshoeing up at Trillium Lake today. Based on Mt Hood snow cameras (Govt Camp and Hwy 26 specifically), it looks like there's no snow there.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 26th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Mount Defiance had patches of snow up to a foot deep today, but mostly thick glare ice above 4200'.

Spikes made travel enjoyable.

Fwiw...
Karl

drm

Post by drm » December 27th, 2013, 9:12 am

Up on Mt Adams a couple of days ago. All snoparks are dry. Drove to the Snipes Mtn trailhead which is at about 3700'. Walked up roads and trails to nearly 5000', where there was maybe 6 inches of very crunchy snow. Temps at the TH were about 30 at mid-morning and reached the mid 40s by afternoon. I went to the Mt Adams Horse Camp after the hike to enjoy the large meadow with sun and Adams views.

The issue with driving the roads is that they can be icy in the morning. If you get a leisurely start, they warm and soften up by late morning.

Also, while wandering around the big meadow at the camp, I saw a weather station - looked sort of like a snotel. But I've never seen a snotel listed for that location. In fact, the only one near Mt Adams on the website for Washington snotels is on the north side at Potato Hill. Maybe this one is either not functioning or is managed by somebody else. I plan to try and find out as it would be great to have a south-side reporting station.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 27th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Here's where all the snow seems to be!

MSH and the Mount Margaret Backcountry, seen from Mount Defiance, December 26.

Here's where it most definitely is not!

Silver Star, seen from Mount Defiance, December 26.

At 5000' in the gorge, mostly just ice. Bring your spikes! :)
Karl