Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kepPNW

Re: Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries

Post by kepPNW » August 31st, 2012, 6:14 am

Koda wrote:I would think the crook would care if the penalties for getting caught were stiffer.
That is how rational people think, yeah. Crime is irrational. If it were truly the case, the death penalty could be shown to take a dent out of our horrific murder rates, eh?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

potato

Post by potato » August 31st, 2012, 7:39 am

One way to deal with this (mentally): imagine to yourself that instead of catching car clouters, the cops are in the city working to stop child abuse. I'll take a smashed window for that cause :)
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 5th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Koda wrote:
mayhem wrote:I personally think with all the new car technology back up cameras, avoidance cameras and sensors, These cameras are very inexpensive and could be mounted to any car internally for just this kind of thing.
this is a good idea but they already have many of these available and they are not at all inexpensive so not everyone can afford them.
[/quote]

Misunderstanding I think? The technology is very inexpensive, the implementing it in a car sales price, is expensive only because of the newness of it not because it is expensive. 40.00 for a spy pen? Or 40.00 for a flying helicopter with camera! Inexpensive :).

Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Koda

Post by Koda » September 5th, 2012, 5:01 pm

mayhem wrote: The technology is very inexpensive, the implementing it in a car sales price, is expensive only because of the newness of it not because it is expensive.
exactly

now try to hook up that spy pen in your vehicle...

here are some car systems already available. The irony behind the more affordable ones is they are not theft proof.... doh!
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/produ ... &refType=1

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/produ ... rs&from=fn
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 5th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Koda wrote:
mayhem wrote: The technology is very inexpensive, the implementing it in a car sales price, is expensive only because of the newness of it not because it is expensive.
exactly

now try to hook up that spy pen in your vehicle...
:). Quite easy ! Bammmm!

The Voice Activated Camera Pen from Swift starts recording when its audio sensors pick up any sound in the area. The pinhole camera fitted on the pen can capture video files at a resolution of 1280 x 960 and image files at a resolution of 1600 x 1200. The in-built mic has a range of 3 meters. This camera pen has been fitted with a CMOS motion sensor which enables the spy camera to start recording even when the owner is not around. The video and audio files get stored in the 8 GB internal memory space.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

potato

Post by potato » September 6th, 2012, 10:40 am

"The in-built mic has a range of 3 meters."
That is such an annoying way for them to state a specification!
Doesn't it just have a sound level threshold? I bet it can hear a train 100 meters away but couldn't hear a very soft whisper from 1 meter. The distance is irrelevant... and meaningless. Unless I'm completely missing something :)
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Roy

Post by Roy » September 6th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Not to be negative but if you got them on tape or a photo even if the law had a mug shot to try to match would they pursue it? Even a public defender wound shoot holes in this kind of case, seems at best they would end up in rehab.

If they robbed you at gun point or car jacked you and they would be more aggressive with video evidence I hope.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 7th, 2012, 8:37 am

theradpotato wrote:One way to deal with this (mentally): imagine to yourself that instead of catching car clouters, the cops are in the city working to stop child abuse. I'll take a smashed window for that cause :)
That's where I'm at, Rad.

A lot of this is driven by a drug culture that Americans are intent (and foolishly, IMHO) on addressing in a moralistic (and costly) manner through criminal prosecution and incarceration. With our federal "war on drigs" laws and mandatory sentencing, this won't change anytime soon. Your best bet is to just pay for a very good insurance policy, and assume you'll need it someday.

Hope that doesn't sound too grim, but I've watched 30+ years of dumbing down our justice system with ballot box gimmicks, and I don't see the voting majority getting any smarter in this issue.

BTW, my brilliant solution for petty crime is work camps, patterned after the CCC. It would be a great plea option, and I'd set it up so that offenders could work off their offenses - purge their criminal history with time served working. One of the forgotten nuances that was heavy on FDR's mind when he created the CCC was the social unrest that millions of unemplyed you men, roaming for work, could have. Times haven't changed all that much, so why not give it a try?

Stepping down from my soapbox, now...

Tom :D

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 7th, 2012, 8:49 am

So you take the r/c choppers and combine them with some of the new drone technology that's actually coming out of Oregon and then things could get entertaining.. :twisted: