Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trail Talk » General Hiking Topics

Post subject: Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries
 Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 7:18 pm 

Quote:
"This summer we are averaging one vehicle break-in per day," Graziano says. In a recent arrest, he says, a suspect said he had just started working in the gorge area and admitted to more than 500 vehicle break-ins.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2012/08/columbia_gorge_sees_rise_in_ca.html

Quote:
Police say they want to place remote cameras in area parking lots to help track down car burglars.

http://www.escapetothewilderness.com/

Post subject: Re: Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries
 Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Columbia River Gorge sees rise in car burglaries in parking lots near visitor sites

In all seriousness though, interesting article. 500 break-ins :o I feel like anytime I am coming up to the TH after a hike, I am kind of resigned to the prospect of my car being broken into. I hope they can do SOMETHING to help alleviate the issue. All the criminals probably know there's almost no way they will get caught.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm 

That's just awful. You'd think that enforcement wouldn't be all that difficult. Do you think that visitors to the Gorge would be willing to pay fees to park if there were active security guards patrolling around the parking lots? It would be nice to see volunteer organizations (like the one mentioned in the article) take the lead and just have a presence at trailheads. Just having witnesses hanging around would make a trailhead unattractive.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. -Bruce Lee

Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 8:23 pm 

hlee wrote:

In all seriousness though, interesting article. 500 break-ins :o
that actually caught my eye, really if it takes 500 break-ins to get caught there really is not much deterrent. IOW'ds those are pretty good odds for the crook.

http://www.escapetothewilderness.com/

Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Right and how many of these people are out there? I'd guess most them aren't as proficient as this person, but... I feel like I don't like the odds.

Still, how many people even on this forum have actually had their car broken into, I wonder? I have heard it sadly mentioned in some TRs of course. I've never had it happen to me, but the car parked directly next to ours was broken into at Eagle Creek.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 8:47 pm 

Koda wrote:
hlee wrote:

In all seriousness though, interesting article. 500 break-ins :o
that actually caught my eye, really if it takes 500 break-ins to get caught there really is not much deterrent. IOW'ds those are pretty good odds for the crook.

Not only 500 break-ins but it said he had just started working the Gorge. There's gotta be a few people, at least, that have been doing it longer than that.

Post Posted: August 27th, 2012, 9:17 pm 

It's gotta mean that enough folks are leaving valuables in their cars to make it worthwhile for the thieves. If we left only dirty old sneakers in our cars, they'd give up!

Post Posted: August 28th, 2012, 12:43 am 

Post Posted: August 28th, 2012, 6:54 pm 

I would take that number of 500 with a little salt, I think. And if it is true, then catching that one person should probably put a stop to most of it, for the time being.

Post Posted: August 28th, 2012, 7:09 pm 

hlee wrote:
Right and how many of these people are out there? I'd guess most them aren't as proficient as this person, but... I feel like I don't like the odds.

Still, how many people even on this forum have actually had their car broken into, I wonder? I have heard it sadly mentioned in some TRs of course. I've never had it happen to me, but the car parked directly next to ours was broken into at Eagle Creek.

I've had it happen four times in 37 years - and I've had a LOT of exposure: In 1975 in my driveway at 2730 NE Knott St, Portland my CB radio was taken; in 1984 in Tryon Park near Lake O. my wife's car war was broken into and her purse was taken; in 1999 in Eugene, in a motel parking lot, my van was broken into and my running shoes, etc. were taken (but they left my camera (!)), and in 2008, at the Angel's Rest parking area my girlfriend's car was broken into and they took her coat and a few things (but didn't get her cell phone).

I've seen many cars broken into at TH's upon arriving and usually just leave and go on to plan B - just too disconcerting. I'm careful at this juncture - no cell phone or valuables left in the car in the gorge- especially.

In all cases, the cost of the damage far, far exceeded the cost of the repairs. I have a solution to this problem but it is not politically correct. (not that I really care!!)

dn

Yoda: “No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Board index » Trail Talk » General Hiking Topics