Gotchen Creek Guard Station

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Gotchen Creek Guard Station

Post by drm » August 5th, 2012, 2:14 pm

I posted about this historic structure during the winter when I skiied there, but now it is summer and you can drive there on a well-graded gravel road, and the Forest Service has an open house for it noon-5pm 7 days a week throughout the summer - till late Sept they told me.

It was built in 1909 to monitor sheep grazing allotments and is the oldest Forest Service structure in the region. The volunteer who was there when I stopped by today was also working on it in preparation for it being a public rental, probably some time next year.
snipes-birdck 042.JPG
snipes-birdck 041.JPG
snipes-birdck 039.JPG
snipes-birdck 038.JPG
It's nine miles north of Trout Lake. Follow the road to the snoparks and Bird Creek Meadows. Where the pavement ends on that road and it veers right, go straight onto road 8225. 3 or 4 miles later turn right on road 060 for a quarter mile or so. There was a sandwich board sign indicating the historic cabin at the turn. If you miss the turn, you will be on road 150 and it dead ends in a mile or so.

There is a picnic table and restroom facilities there, but no potable water. Might be best to call the FS in Trout Lake to confirm that it will be staffed if you're going.

hlee

Re: Gotchen Creek Guard Station

Post by hlee » August 6th, 2012, 9:06 am

Very interesting pictures, thanks for posting! I will have to save this, as I know some in my family would be very interested in visiting.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot