Goat on N Augsburger

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
beag

Goat on N Augsburger

Post by beag » September 29th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Yesterday we saw a Mountain Goat on a Crag on the North end of Augsburger. I remember reading about a goat around Silver Star a few years ago. Anyone else with news of goats in area or how they would get there.

retired jerry

Re: Goat on N Augsburger

Post by retired jerry » September 29th, 2016, 6:10 pm

there are lots of goats on Mt Adams

it would be a straight shot from there to Silver Star or Augsburger - that is, no highways, bodies of water, or cities to cross

Guy

Post by Guy » September 29th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Wow, great siting beag! Well done.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » September 30th, 2016, 1:27 am

Amazing - I feel that my chances of spotting a cougar on Augsburger are higher than for a mountain goat... Great sighting!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 30th, 2016, 5:33 pm

I have seen goat "sign" in that area, but was never sure that was what I was really seeing.

The goats seem to really be multiplying! This last weekend, while on my way to the Plains of Abraham, I counted approximately 35 goats (counting goats is sort of like counting chickens) on the crater slope of Mt St Helens.
24-Goats-S.jpg
a few of the goats on Mt St Helens

Did you know that mountain goats aren't really goats? They are in the same family as antelopes, sheep and muskox.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 30th, 2016, 7:28 pm

K.Wagner wrote:Did you know that mountain goats aren't really goats? They are in the same family as antelopes, sheep and muskox.
Not sure where you got that from. Goats, sheep, and mountain goats are three separate genera in the Caprinae subfamily. (Antelopes are assorted bovids that are specifically NOT in that grouping.)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Trying to decide what would shock me more: a goat sighting on Augspurger Mt, or on St Helens. I wonder if they were deliberately reintroduced to Helens, or if that was just nature doing its thing.

BTW, Jerry is right, Mt Adams is crawling with goats, like ants at a picnic.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 30th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Chip Down wrote:Trying to decide what would shock me more: a goat sighting on Augspurger Mt, or on St Helens. I wonder if they were deliberately reintroduced to Helens, or if that was just nature doing its thing.
Nature doing its thing. Reports of goats on MSH and the Mt. Margaret Backcountry are pretty common.

[This WDFW page has a "report a mountain goat encounter" link, which may or may not work.]
Last edited by adamschneider on September 30th, 2016, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » September 30th, 2016, 9:10 pm

We actually saw one while climbing Dog Mountain last year. It was off in the distance from the trail but we could easily tell what it was. Probably the same one you saw. :)

Koda

Post by Koda » September 30th, 2016, 9:48 pm

adamschneider wrote:
K.Wagner wrote:Did you know that mountain goats aren't really goats? They are in the same family as antelopes, sheep and muskox.
Not sure where you got that from. Goats, sheep, and mountain goats are three separate genera in the Caprinae subfamily. (Antelopes are assorted bovids that are specifically NOT in that grouping.)
and if we want to get technical, there is no such thing as an Antelope in North America what we have here are Pronghorns and they are the last of their species IIRC.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2