Help restore Warren Falls! (May 20 Update!)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

Help restore Warren Falls! (May 20 Update!)

Post by Splintercat » March 19th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Howdy all,

As you probably know, I've been running a no-budget, no-organization campaign to restore Warren Falls (in the Starvation Creek area) as part of the ambitious effort to restore the old Columbia River Highway as a bike/hike trail. Despite the millions going into the highway restoration, it's still an uphill battle to add this project to the scope -- despite the fact that it was ODOT (then known as the Oregon Highway Department) that diverted the falls way back in 1939.

There's a very good chance of making this happen, especially since the push is on to complete the larger highway restoration in the next four years. The window for including Warren Creek Falls in this restoration is NOW. Here's how you can help: I've created a Facebook fan page, and if you're a Facebook user, consider stopping by and hitting "like". No worries about me hounding you for contributions, etc., this is strictly a social media petition of sorts -- a way for me to show the folks that matter that there's broad support for the idea.

Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/RestoreWarrenFalls

Feel free to forward this to others in your Facebook circles, too! Thanks go to Zach (Chameleon) here on PH.org for the use of his photos of Warren Falls in various articles -- thanks Zach!

I'm also working with Oregon Field Guide on a segment for the program devoted to Warren Falls. Not sure where they're going with it, but we've made one trip up there already, and will be making another this spring. Hopefully, that will help tilt the balance toward including restoration of the falls in the ODOT trail project.

Thanks in advance!

Tom :)

Sore Feet

Re: Help restore Warren Falls! (on Facebook)

Post by Sore Feet » March 21st, 2012, 4:57 pm

Gave you a plug on the World Waterfall Database facebook page, hopefully that'll get you a little more attention (though I don't have too many followers there yet).

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » March 21st, 2012, 5:14 pm

Passed it on =D
Hi!

Peder

Post by Peder » March 21st, 2012, 7:56 pm

Tom - Your follower here in Vietnam clicked on the link to the Facebook page, just to get a "this webpage is not available." :( It had slipped my mind that for the last 2 - 3 years Facebook has been censored here. So I am incapable of checking my own Facebook page, but I know that all the locals circumvent the censorship through mirror sites (or whatever).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 21st, 2012, 8:17 pm

Thanks, all! Much appreciated! Bryan, thanks for the link, too - nice.

I had a very positive response from the chair of the advisory committee that oversees the Columbia River Highway/trail restoration project, and though I don't think I'll persuade them to include the falls restoration in their budget, I do think I can get it included in the project -- if I can help them find the finds. That's what I'm working on, now.

More to come...

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » March 22nd, 2012, 9:27 am

I don't do Facebook (security concerns as well as lack of interest), so I hope you'll keep us updated here, too!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 22nd, 2012, 10:06 pm

Will do, Granny -- I'll use this thread as opposed to starting new topics from this point forward.

On Sunday morning, I'm leading a hike to Warren Falls, plus the other waterfalls in the area, as part of the Friends of the Gorge hiking series. LOTS of people signed up, and fortunately, the weather looks to be cooperating, too. Nice!

-Tom :)

Splintercat

Re: Help restore Warren Falls! (now on Facebook)

Post by Splintercat » March 30th, 2012, 7:48 am

Wrote a blog roundup of March activities related to Warren Falls -- notably, a recap of some progress made with the Historic Columbia River Highway advisory committee related to Warren Creek:

Warren Falls Lives... Again?

The link to this article also appears on the Restore Warren Falls Facebook page. I'll be adding some odds and ends related to Warren Falls over time -- stuff that isn't quite a blog article, but is still kinda interesting!

BTW, Warren is likely flowing this weekend -- if you want to see it for yourself, get out your raincoat and head up there in the next day or two! The key is to take a good look at Multnomah when you go by - if the two segments (the main segment and the small segment on the right) are connected, then Warren is likely flowing, too.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 1st, 2012, 5:09 pm

Here's another installment that I just posted on the Facebook page for Restore Warren Falls....

Warren Falls Lives! Again! It has been a banner year for Warren Falls this year, with several heavy runoff periods that have overtopped the Highway Department diversion structure. This video from March 31 shows the falls in its fleeting glory, but focuses on the rarely-seen diversion structure at the head of the falls. You'll be able to see how the structure works, and why Warren Falls periodically comes back to life. Enjoy!

GREAT day up there yesterday! Not too much rain, and plenty of water overflowing Warren Falls. This is my third hit this year... say, I'm starting to think Warren Falls likes me... ;)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 1st, 2012, 8:24 pm

Tom, thanks for showing a video of how the grate system works. I'll give it to the engineers, it's a genius way of diverting the water.

Looks like Warren creek has some serious volume at times. That much water going over the original cliff would be a rediculous sight. It doesn't seem like it would take much to really get some water to go over the grate.

Keep it up
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.