What are your 2012 hiking goals?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Crusak

What are your 2012 hiking goals?

Post by Crusak » December 5th, 2011, 8:25 pm

It might be a bit early for this topic, but what are your goals for 2012?

I'm hoping to meet or exceed what I'm close to doing this year in miles and EG (400 mi, 100k EG). As for hiking destinations, hopefully we'll not experience the late snowmelt next year that shortened the season so much! :). I want to backpack in at least three new places (so many places I've never been!) and hopefully get some time around Mt Hood and Indian Heaven. I'd also like to get back down around the Three Sisters for a backpacking trip. I want to summit South Sister.

So, how 'bout you? What are your goals?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Eric Peterson

Re: What are your 2012 hiking goals?

Post by Eric Peterson » December 5th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Dang, can't believe it's time for the yearly goal thread already! :)

I didn't even set any goals for this year but hit 200' of EG and whatever miles,
I don't even care about miles or nights in the woods.

Since I hit 200 this year I suppose I'll try for 250 next, but I don't really
care what my EG is as long as I'm out hiking once a week. :)

But one goal for sure is a longer camping trip in the Wallowas so I can
bag those other peaks around Ice Lake that I didn't have time for. And maybe
do the Aneroid Lake/ Polaris Pass loop as well for a solo loony 1 day event.

I will keep adding items as I remember them:

Hood 360 in a day hike

Schwack list:

Upper Mccord Falls to Nesmith
Munra Point up to Moffet Creek - Oops, did this in '11 on 12-24
GreenLeaf Basin circumnav
Powerline trail stuff around Wyeth over to Starvation and other Starvation/Defiance area stuff

Cleanups:

Also there is a crack head campsite that will get cleaned up once the gate opens.

GPS work:

Attempt to make a mapset for my GPS unit with my tracks, also would like to incorporate
other tracks from other users but that will require some ground work in the people relations department. For people who know what I'm talking about, I am trying to make my own map like NW Topos that can be uploaded to users GPS. Just a for fun not for profit kinda thing. :)
Last edited by Eric Peterson on January 2nd, 2012, 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » December 5th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Cabin fever is here--it's that time!

Thanks to dog surgery, late snowmelt and a death in the family, among other problems which messed up the 2011 hiking season, my 2012 goals are identical to 2011. Of course my dog Hysson and I are both a year older, which doesn't help. (At least he doesn't believe it!) I suspect that if we don't get back to Wyoming's Wind Rivers next summer, we probably never will. The only ones on my list that I accomplished last year were a couple of trips with grandkids, so those will be different this year.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 5th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Yep, it's a bit early to think about these things but I have - so here it is:

I intend to get back to the Big Island and do more exploring on Hualalai and http://www.summitpost.org/hualalai/262991
get up there via the Pu’u Wa’a Wa’a route. Also, I will be giving Mauna Loa another shot. Very interesting places to be sure.

On Maui, I may once again try for the summit of Eke Crater but the weather really has to cooperate for that one. I have a few more things to check out on Haleakala, too. If time permits, I will fly over to Molokai and give the highest mountain, Kamakou, a shot. It’s a brutal jungle slog so weather has to cooperate on that one, too.

In the Gorge, so much to do! The availability of the new Lidar maps has really expanded the possibilities. Having my new Loony brothers to go out and get trashed with should either kill me or make me stronger. Time will tell!

I’ll try for the summits of at least a dozen more county high points in Washington state and also will do a few more in both AZ and Idaho.

If that isn’t enough, and depending on my work schedule, weather and time, I may do some more hiking/climbing in CA, NV and UT. Also, I’d like to fly up to Alaska and see what I can accomplish in the Juneau area and also maybe drive up to the north slope and tag some peaks. That’s a long shot, though – really difficult terrain up there.

I’ve been to all the afore mentioned places over the years except the north slope so have an idea of what the areas are like. This having a job is so darn restrictive!!!

--DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

potato

Post by potato » December 5th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Man, your job doesn't sound that restrictive! That's a lot of adventure for 1 year!

I'm planning to take my total mileage from this year and add 50% or something. I should finish the year at around 425 so I'm thinking maybe 600 for next year... and I won't restrict myself to going to a new place every time. I'd love to climb Hood and do one or two multi-day backpacking trips... like 5 or 6 nights instead of 1 or 2 like I normally do. Still working on it though. As cheesy as the tradition of "new year's resolutions" can be, I actually find it useful as an official time of year to think about what I've done and what I want to do more of, and get motivated to do it.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 5th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
In the Gorge, so much to do! The availability of the new Lidar maps has really expanded the possibilities. Having my new Loony brothers to go out and get trashed with should either kill me or make me stronger. Time will tell!

Cool!! When's the next DN loony death march anyway? :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 5th, 2011, 9:39 pm

theradpotato wrote:Man, your job doesn't sound that restrictive! That's a lot of adventure for 1 year!
LOL - I guess you are right on that count! The thing is that my job involves travelling to most of the places I mentioned plus most of my vacations are to Hawaii so the opportunities are there. I have to do weekend trade shows so get a lot of weekdays off from time to time. No way I can do all I mentioned in one year, so will have to pick and choose. Hawaii for sure, the Gorge for sure, WA and ID for sure and the rest as time permits. Life is short - so much to do.....

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » December 6th, 2011, 11:09 pm

My plans are simple: A Mt. Whittier loop with Tom/Roy, a Wauna Point direct with Guy and a few fun hikes with Chip! Those hikes are just all a piece of cake, so I am looking forward to a relaxing 2012! On any "free" days I will just do recliner hikes. :lol:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » December 7th, 2011, 3:14 am

Peder wrote:My plans are simple: A Mt. Whittier loop with Tom/Roy, a Wauna Point direct with Guy and a few fun hikes with Chip! Those hikes are just all a piece of cake, so I am looking forward to a relaxing 2012! On any "free" days I will just do recliner hikes. :lol:
Thank you for not forgetting about me Peder I have set this as my main goal this year. And after meeting you I can tell you are just the guy to put up with me. I promise to train and heal and I will know when and if its time . Guy and his lovely partner seem like great folks long shot maybe they would join us. Might even get my wife and son to come.

Happy Holidays.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 7th, 2011, 5:36 am

Not needing the use of ShouldBeBack.com?
:)