What are your 2012 hiking goals?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chase

Re: What are your 2012 hiking goals?

Post by Chase » December 25th, 2011, 8:57 am

Thum wrote:
2. One night Hatfield Trans Gorge Trip.

3. Loowit St Helens Loop in a day led by Timberline Legend Cascade Hiker.

4. Timberline Trail in a day led by Cascade Hiker.

5. St Helens summit led by Tom/Roy or ofcourse, Cascade Hiker :D and ep/mayhem/don/cru etc have to come
too.

6. Attempt the Triple Death(Defiance).

7. Traditional Triple D.

8. Newberry Road to Terwilliger Road in a day(35 or 36 miles with Wildwood and Marquam Trails included)

9. Hike whole Wilson River Trail with Mayhem

10. Eagle Creek to Buck Peak and Back in a day.
I love seeing ambitious lists like this.

What's the difference between 6 & 7?

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » December 25th, 2011, 9:10 am

Chase wrote:
Thum wrote:
2. One night Hatfield Trans Gorge Trip.

3. Loowit St Helens Loop in a day led by Timberline Legend Cascade Hiker.

4. Timberline Trail in a day led by Cascade Hiker.

5. St Helens summit led by Tom/Roy or ofcourse, Cascade Hiker :D and ep/mayhem/don/cru etc have to come
too.

6. Attempt the Triple Death(Defiance).

7. Traditional Triple D.

8. Newberry Road to Terwilliger Road in a day(35 or 36 miles with Wildwood and Marquam Trails included)

9. Hike whole Wilson River Trail with Mayhem

10. Eagle Creek to Buck Peak and Back in a day.
I love seeing ambitious lists like this.

What's the difference between 6 & 7?
I believe Thum is talking about 3x Defiance and devils rest/defiance/dog. I think he should shoot for consecutive days :twisted:
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

Chase

Post by Chase » December 25th, 2011, 10:49 am

Ah. Makes sense. The "traditional triple D" sounds more like a brassiere size than a hike.

Only a matter of time 'til someone tries Defiance 4x in a day.

Thum

Post by Thum » December 25th, 2011, 11:30 am

LOL whoa man, CH is cracking the whip already! I will have to put down the holiday foods and quit stuffing my face to keep up next year. The regular triple D like ch listed out sounds like a lot fun. Quad D would take my heart and soul and spit it out, maybe in the 24 hr defiance contest we will give it a try:)

Chase

Post by Chase » December 25th, 2011, 1:12 pm

I'd be willing to try, but would also rather bow out after 2 or 3 summits than suffer a heart attack.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Chase wrote:Ah. Makes sense. The "traditional triple D" sounds more like a brassiere size than a hike.

Only a matter of time 'til someone tries Defiance 4x in a day.
Yep! A 24hour Defiance hike is on CH & my list for 2012 :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » December 27th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Ooh ooh I'll play:
  • Hatfield trail
  • Eagle Cap loop in the Wallowas
  • Summit Hood
  • Summit Rainier
  • Multiday ski tour of Indian Heaven Wilderness after the lakes melt but the snow is still deep
  • Multiday recliner hike of the west side of the Three Sisters Wilderness, stopping at every lake and creek
Basically, my goal is to slow down and enjoy the wilderness more, instead of hiking 27 mile days through some of the prettiest country around. More fishing, more exotic locale, more chillaxing.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 27th, 2011, 12:29 pm

kylemeyer wrote:...basically, my goal is to slow down and enjoy the wilderness more, instead of hiking 27 mile days through some of the prettiest country around. More fishing, more exotic locale, more chillaxing.
Sounds excellent!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 1st, 2012, 11:12 am

My goal is, mostly, to get faster and better-equipped. I did come up with some number goals as well but I hope to blow them out of the water. My goals are a little low as it's going to take me some time to get properly geared and such and I don't know when I'll be able to start on my goals.

2012 Goals:
-20 hikes that are minimum 10mi and 2,500ft elevation gain.
-Get smarter & lighter hiking gear.
-Meet more of you hikers!! (I'm really shy about new people)

I would love to put down goals of 30-40 hikes at a minimum of 25mi and 5,000ft elevation gain but right now I don't have the gear to make that realistic, nor do I have my own vehicle so it's not always easy for me to get out to trails. I'd like to start meeting people I can carpool with but I need to get gear first. Freelance web/graphic design doesn't pay much yet =(, acquiring gear is very slow-going.

Good luck on all of your goals! I hope to do some hikes with some of you.. maybe even some Loonies ;). I have it in me to do the big hikes, I just need the gear =D.
Hi!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 1st, 2012, 12:27 pm

Going into a new year my hiking plans are always a bit fuzzy. I don't tend to set numeric goals, but more often I think in terms of areas I want to see and which opportunities I want to take full advantage of.

In 2012, I expect to have more opportunity for day-hiking than I've had for the past five or six years, especially this upcoming spring. I have a whole roster of trails in the gorge, Salmon-Huckleberry, and Mt. Hood area I haven't been to for ages. I'd love to day hike 2 or 3 times a month from now until next Labor Day.

Every summer, by long-standing arrangement, I get two weeks in late July or August when I can take off on my own and backpack (or car camp & day hike) by myself. Months ahead of time I always have at least three ideas of where I might go, which I refine as the year progresses and I see how the snow situation develops. At the top of my list for this year is the Pasayten area of the north cascades. I've been mulling that one for several years now. Next in line would be a 140 mile chunk of the PCT from Indian Heaven up to Chinook Pass east of Mt. Rainier. My fallback if those two appear to be infeasible would be to go hike down by the Sky Lakes wilderness, Crater Lake and Mt. Thielsen.

2012 will be the first year in the past seven that I won't be visiting the Strawberry Mt. Wilderness in mid-June. I will be in France with my wife instead. Doesn't mean that I won't be missing the Strawberries, though.