NPS And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mcds

NPS And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect

Post by mcds » October 21st, 2014, 11:14 am

A bit empty on facts to say the least, but it's written by Jim Walters, who spent nearly 40 years working for NPS, including 15 years as a Wilderness Program Coordinator.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... glect25790

raven

Re: NPS And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect

Post by raven » October 21st, 2014, 10:45 pm

Thank, mcds. At last I now better understand some of what I have seen and have heard about. Still, as you say, a bit empty on facts. Given his previous positions, he could have provided outlines for missing reports and other such -- thereby arming activists and wilderness-friendly legislators. As it is, one must wonder about the ratio of humph to substance -- how much difference there is to be achieved in practice.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 22nd, 2014, 2:40 pm

yeah, not enough info to fact check his claims. He'd do a great service, as you say, for wilderness if he would go back and footnote or cite his claims. But then TKO's president is no better.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

Your vendetta against Tom is so childish

You've made your point

If you want to share information related to hiking loosely related to Portland, great

If you just want to get even with Tom because he asked you not to post details about your trail maintenance that the Forest Service objects to, it's getting old

Frankly, I've always appreciated your trail work and don't really know if the Forest Service objection is reasonable

mcds

Post by mcds » October 22nd, 2014, 3:22 pm

There is nothing to get even about. At the moment, his PM/post reflects badly on himself, TKO and the USFS, not me. You ought to be petitioning Tom to either retract his empty assertions, or back them up.

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 7:09 pm

retired jerry wrote:Your vendetta against Tom is so childish

You've made your point

If you want to share information related to hiking loosely related to Portland, great

If you just want to get even with Tom because he asked you not to post details about your trail maintenance that the Forest Service objects to, it's getting old

Frankly, I've always appreciated your trail work and don't really know if the Forest Service objection is reasonable
+1!

:mrgreen:

The article is sobering.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider