Trip Reports- What To Do When No One's Interested

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Lumpy

Re: Trip Reports- What To Do When No One's Interested

Post by Lumpy » September 17th, 2014, 10:06 am

Comments that I would have made have already been made, bit in the interest of keeping your interest, just post and move on, trip reports get read, pictures get oohed and aahed over, and information is used by others. Replies don't truly measure total interest in any post, and your knowledge of the area where you volunteer is valuable to many despite what their personal feelings about you might be.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Limey

Post by Limey » September 17th, 2014, 10:50 am

I read every trip report. I enjoy seeing where people go that I have no hope of ever getting to, living vicariously. I seldom reply unless I have something pertinent to add. I have frustrating internet problems that make it difficult to do a prompt reply a lot of the time. I have numerous hikes that I haven't posted for the same reason. I love your trip reports and your style of writing so keep it up, you can be sure I read every one of them.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 17th, 2014, 11:36 am

Peder wrote:Right now, I am thinking of my next TR and how to use the names "Margaret", "Venus" and "Minnie" in the TR Subject line to obtain a maximum number of views! :twisted:
"Backcountry threesome: Maggie, Minnie, and the Goddess of Love"

mcds

Post by mcds » September 17th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Will - for new ideas on writing TRs, google for 'how to write a post', which will return tips on writing (blog) posts.

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » September 17th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I also try and look at all the TRs. Either it's someplace I want to go to, didn't know about (and now want to go), or I've been to and seeing others photos and experiences brings back memories or shows me something I may have missed. I also appreciate the fact that there are differing opinions on this site. I may not agree with some of them, but hearing the different points of view sometimes makes me take a second look. Maybe enough so I change my mind, maybe not, but the discourse (if kept civil) can really be enlightening.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 17th, 2014, 10:39 pm

:D Thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies! I'll keep posting and try to get a cougar or black bear involved too. ;) I do try to capture different angles of a trail, mountain, lake, waterfall and so on so the viewer can not just see the same photo of an object that everyone else photographs. I've been able to lose over 70 lbs this last year and have boosted my average mileage up to 10 miles per weekend, so I'm trying to do some awesome hikes rather than recliner only's, to give better reports. Stay safe, everyone, this coming weekend.

Will

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 18th, 2014, 5:36 am

picture of cougar - you'll get some replies

unless you "do a Gene" and take a picture of one at a zoo :D

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 18th, 2014, 7:24 am

I've been able to lose over 70 lbs this last year
Congrats!!! Really awesome!!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 18th, 2014, 8:50 am

I have had the same thoughts too. Sometimes my TRs fall flat, other times they take off with a life of there own. Shall I quote the Forrest Gump box of chocolates line?

I write TRs for several reasons:
- To share my experience with other hikers, friends, co-workers and family. Many people have no idea what the outdoors is really like.
- To entertain or amuse others. A zinger or two can give someone a good laugh for the day.
- To practice my writing and narrative skills.
- To practice my computer skills.
- To be social. I don't use Facebook or socialize many other ways. I consider PH members my peeps. Do people still use "peeps" anymore?
- To reminisce about great trips, especially during the dark, dreary days of winter.

I think everyone has something to contribute when writing a TR. People should not be too concerned with replies or let lack of replies affect their posts. Like others, I read many more TRs than I reply to and appreciate the effort. It takes much time (for me at least) to write a good TR, but the time spent is worth the effort.

Right on, and write on, man,

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 18th, 2014, 8:59 am

I also document a trip that I might want to re-do some day