Elk Cove via Cloud Cap?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mchan02

Elk Cove via Cloud Cap?

Post by mchan02 » August 22nd, 2014, 10:58 am

I want to hike to Elk Cove over Labor Day weekend, but there's little information on how accessible it is right now. The forest service page says the Cloud Cap Inn Rd is closed, but that note is from 2013:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/r ... ecid=71918

The hike description says there is a detour around Eliot Creek but then goes on to talk about the Eliot Creek crossing. So I guess I'm a bit confused. Has anyone been recently and know the status of the trailhead or trail? Is Eliot Creek really impassable? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Koda

Re: Elk Cove via Cloud Cap?

Post by Koda » August 22nd, 2014, 11:21 am

It would be much much easier and safer to hike to Elk Cove from Lawrance Lake or other trailhead.

The Elliot crossing is washed out and dangerous. The detour is hiking up the mountain and crossing on the glacier terminus.... mountaineering risks involved there.

Not saying the traditional crossing cant be done. Search the forum for Timberline Trail there was a recent trip report where someone did it and described in detail the danger and risk they took.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 22nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Approaching from Cloud Cap not only encounters the Eliot, but the gnarly Coe Creek as well.

Elk Cove via Vista Ridge is a classic route that you could use.
That approach also yields the beautiful Wy'East basin to hike through.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 22nd, 2014, 1:49 pm

Or make a loop using Elk Cove and Pinnacle Ridge trails.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 22nd, 2014, 3:57 pm

Shortest (although not by much) and definitely least elevation gain to get to Elk Cove is to go from the Vista Rodge trailhead. The route via Cloud Cap was a lot longer even before the Eliot crossing got thoroughly wiped out.

elmay

Post by elmay » August 25th, 2014, 10:39 am

I was just up at Cloud Cap yesterday -- there were about 20 cars there at 10:30am or so.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 25th, 2014, 10:47 am

about 20 cars there at 10:30am

After the road closure there looks to be some pent-up demand.

mchan02

Post by mchan02 » August 25th, 2014, 10:55 am

Thanks for the tips, all. I think we'll check out the Vista Ridge trail. Looks like there are some nice wildflowers coming up in the burn zone. Looks like a great hike!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 26th, 2014, 4:23 pm

mchan02 wrote:Thanks for the tips, all. I think we'll check out the Vista Ridge trail. Looks like there are some nice wildflowers coming up in the burn zone. Looks like a great hike!
Only fireweed in the burn area and along the Vista Ridge Trail. You'll start seeing the best wildflowers on the Timberline Trail heading towards Elk Cove or climbing out of Eden Park thru Cairn Basin and on to Wy'east Basin. That's as of today..
And if you live somewhere with ez access to I-84, it's tons easier and also quicker (but it is more miles) that way compared to Lolo Pass. Just pretend you are going to and/or follow the signs to Lost Lake, turn on Lolo Pass Rd at the junction and the signed trailhead turn on Road16 is three miles from that junction. So no unpaved roads until the last couple miles on 1650.