Visiting Oregon this summer for South Sister

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
hikergirl01

Visiting Oregon this summer for South Sister

Post by hikergirl01 » April 14th, 2014, 5:32 am

Hello Oregonians! Coming from Washington State this summer to do the South Sister. I just heard about it, and I immediately starting looking into it. Looking for suggestions or websites I might need to know about before I come.

Here's my plan. Doing this in the mid week in august, since I heard it's pretty busy on weekends. Driving through the night to get to Devil's Lake early . Backpacking to Moraine Lake. Figured I could do a little day hike to green lake from there to kill time. Head up to the summit with an early start, one more night at lake Moraine & head back down.
I guess I'm a little anxious, about not getting a spot at Moraine lake. Any suggestions? I'll be doing this as a solo trip, so I like to be as close to my plan as possible.

retired jerry

Re: Visiting Oregon this summer for South Sister

Post by retired jerry » April 14th, 2014, 6:14 am

Moraine Lake has camping at designated sites only. Mid week - likely find a vacant spot.

I've camped above Moraine Lake. Either side of the trail going up to the summit. Many possible spots. I think you're not supposed to camp between the trail and Moraine Lake. Maybe go up the trail away from the lake a little.

Water easily absorbs into the soil - water sources are scarce. The outflow of Moraine Lake is probably your best bet.

The trail goes down from Moraine Lake to Green Lake outflow stream, and then up that. Many people hiking to Green Lake. That route seems uninteresting to me if you're just killing time at Moraine Lake. Maybe better to explore a bit above Moraine Lake. A number of faint trails. Cross country is pretty straightforward. Maybe going solo you don't want to go cross country...

Check the field guide - click "field guide", then "central oregon", then "trail around three sisters".

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 16th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Whoop! south sister summit views are beyond belief. enjoy

Water

Post by Water » April 18th, 2014, 9:53 am

night 1 devil's lake
night 2 moraine lake
-Climb
night 3 moraine lake?

Just want to communicate depending on your interests you could surely take this much time, but especially if you are fit, doing all of it in a day is very reasonable. To me this seems to be a lot of time--there is so much cool stuff to see/do around Bend.

I have taken non-hiking friends who are....not in shape (politely put) and they made it fine in a day:
start early (just when its barely getting light out)
3(or more) liters of water, and drink a ton before you leave
TP, headlight, camera, phone, sun hat, sun glasses, chapstick, sun screen, small puffy jacket, light wind breaker, hiking poles, food.

Can put it all in a tiny day-pack it doesn't weigh much. But i do understand the appeal of camping out--that said there are a lot of fun camping opportunities around Bend so if you wanted that you could do it. After I get down from South Sister I want to drink a beer or eat some good pub food!

anyway you do it you will have a blast, just don't sell yourself short on thinking you can't do it all in a day if that helps your schedule/lets you see more things!
Feel Free to Feel Free

Roy

Post by Roy » April 19th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Where are you coming from? How much eg and miles are used to its a lot harder and hotter than Defiance. Or Granite or Si up north. If your fit very doable in a day I always preferred that to packing tents food and the weight.

My wife and son I and did it easy in a day after A night in a Bend Hotel and drove home to North Vancouver when done.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Ruairisdad

Post by Ruairisdad » April 21st, 2014, 3:18 pm

If you're driving down from WA the night before, camping at Moraine Lake isn't a bad plan. If all the spots are taken, you can camp someplace else, as long as it's outside the area around the lake (see the photo on the kiosk at the trail head). If you've been without sleep the night before, IMHO it's too much to do the summit and back in a day.

Camping at Moraine Lake a second night is probably a bit of a waste of time. Pack up and head into Bend for a beer sounds like alot more fun.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2014, 3:29 pm

"Camping at Moraine Lake a second night is probably a bit of a waste of time."

I get what you're saying - short walk down to your car, but

Going down to Bend is a waste of a nice night camping out :D