Smartphone GPS woes

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Smartphone GPS woes

Post by Koda » July 25th, 2014, 6:51 am

This privacy issue is overrated. If your using a smartphone at all, plus using a web forum and or social media the govt wont care if you have a spoof account they can track you. Most of my concerns are with marketing abuse and criminals and I trust Google more than Microsoft in that regard I find MS products invasive
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » July 25th, 2014, 9:38 am

I simply assume if it is done over the internet or someone elses network that I cannot control, it will not be private, and could easily be abused. I haven't been disappointed yet.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » July 25th, 2014, 10:38 am

Lumpy wrote:
Pnw.hiker wrote: How do you pay for an app with a 'spoof account'?
Pre-paid visa gift card and a Google account only used for the market and the device. "Spoof" may not be the right term.
Hadn't though of that -- good idea.
Koda wrote:This privacy issue is overrated. If your using a smartphone at all, plus using a web forum and or social media the govt wont care if you have a spoof account they can track you. Most of my concerns are with marketing abuse and criminals and I trust Google more than Microsoft in that regard I find MS products invasive
The android tablet I tried required an account for almost everything, like downloading apps, and these accounts keep getting connected. For example, if you are logged into gmail and then go to youtube, you'll be identified and pestered to combine accounts and give up more information. With the MS phone I haven't run into any of that.
Lumpy wrote:I simply assume if it is done over the internet or someone elses network that I cannot control, it will not be private, and could easily be abused. I haven't been disappointed yet.
That's my default assumption too, ever since I was a kid and read about sigint satellites, and that transoceanic cables were all tapped. I feel responsible for my own privacy and try not to make it easier for the knuckleheads.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » July 25th, 2014, 10:44 am

Pnw.hiker wrote: I feel responsible for my own privacy and try not to make it easier for the knuckleheads.
Don't worry. The Legislative Branch will make it easier for the highest bidder.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Koda

Post by Koda » July 25th, 2014, 11:02 am

Pnw.hiker wrote:The android tablet I tried required an account for almost everything, like downloading apps, and these accounts keep getting connected. For example, if you are logged into gmail and then go to youtube, you'll be identified and pestered to combine accounts and give up more information. With the MS phone I haven't run into any of that.
true, Google took over Youtube. When you browse youtube on the phone your automatically browsing youtube under your google profile. I admit I find that annoying.

However I recently read somewhere that Microsoft is abandoning their line of smartphones that use Android as the phones OS. My hypothesis is that might mean even less applications for a windows phone until Microsoft released something to compete with Android (and Apple) which in the end Microsoft wont be much different than google.
It will always be a never ending battle for privacy.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » July 25th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Koda wrote: ... However I recently read somewhere that Microsoft is abandoning their line of smartphones that use Android as the phones OS. My hypothesis is that might mean even less applications for a windows phone until Microsoft released something to compete with Android (and Apple) which in the end Microsoft wont be much different than google ...
Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile device division last year. The new Nokia WindowsPhones have a good reputation (as far as I can tell) and the one I got was really cheap, considering its features. My hypothesis is that Microsoft is buying market share with a few good cheap phones. They are expected to double their market share in the next few years, thought still tiny compared to android.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 26th, 2014, 5:37 am

Pnw.hiker wrote:Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile device division last year. The new Nokia WindowsPhones have a good reputation (as far as I can tell) and the one I got was really cheap, considering its features. My hypothesis is that Microsoft is buying market share with a few good cheap phones. They are expected to double their market share in the next few years, thought still tiny compared to android.
Make sure you read this quote from that article:
The research at IDC expects Windows Phone to jump to 6.4 percent in 2018, up from 3.5 percent.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. In September 2010, shortly before the launch of Windows Phone 7, the IDC gave a report that 'Windows Mobile' would have 9.8 percent market share in 2014. A little to the left there.
Microsoft has been trying to "buy" market share for several years now, with minimal success. Windows phones have been declining steadily, and unless/until they can come up with something game changing or really compelling, I really don't think they are going to make a serious dent in either iPhone or Android. Androids largest market share is cheap phones, especially in developing countries and that doesn't seem to be in serious jeopardy. Android has the low/mid parts of the market pretty well locked up, and Apple has the high end of the market pretty well locked up. I guess the only hope for Microsoft is that the market is HUGE, worldwide and growing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 26th, 2014, 7:55 am

Microsoft under Steve Ballmer was slow, flat, non-innovative. Steve's management style had too many layers, and everyone was in cya mode.

Their new leader, Satya Nadella, is of a progressive mind. His style promotes leaner / quicker development teams with less layers of opinions. Outside of all the jobs Satya just cut, most everything else he's done since he took over has been good for morale. His top tiers of management that were carried over from Ballmer are harmonizing one tune: Ballmer ruled with fear, Satya is about encouragement.

Under Steve Ballmer, I eventually stopped using windows products completely, as they were lackluster/old, slow on the updates, and full of bugs.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 22nd, 2014, 9:06 am

USB device charger and BT speaker:
http://www.amazon.com/iKANOO-Bluetooth- ... er+charger

I got this for charging phones/devices on the trail but also useful at night with a group and you want to share a tune.