How to create Lidar KMZ's for a Garmin custom map.

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Peabody

How to create Lidar KMZ's for a Garmin custom map.

Post by Peabody » March 12th, 2014, 9:04 pm

For a very long time I've been wanting to load georeferenced Lidar maps onto my Garmin Etrex 30 and I've finally figured out a fairly simple process that works. It requires the use of a couple of different free/shareware applications (G-Raster and 7-Zip) but no other costly GIS software is needed. I've written out the directions here. It's a lengthy how-to document so plan on spending 1 -2 hours to go thru it............

.....ok now that just us mapping geeks left......

I can now generate a georeferenced lidar map for my Garmin in about 15 minutes.

If you go through this document please let me know if there are any errors or omissions. Suggestions are very welcome. I'll update the document or process based on your feedback.

Use this at your own risk!

A big thank you to Adventure Mapper for pointing out the geotiff possibility.

Below are some examples.

Google Earth
google earth.jpg
Google Earth transparency turned on. The terrain really pops.
google earth compare.jpg
Basecamp
basecamp.jpg
Garmin
garmin.jpg
garmin.jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

pablo

Re: How to create Lidar KMZ's for a Garmin custom map.

Post by pablo » April 13th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Thx for posting this, I gave it a whirl, works OK. I'll use it more once I get familiar with the work-flow. Nice to be able to access DOGAMI lidar for free that DOGAMI sells (I assume it is the same set of data).

Right now I think I like the looks of extracted images from the (crappy) DOGAMI LIDAR viewer better - I like having the contours and the shading and it is much faster to generated a usable image (crtl-prtsc). Pretty easy to rectifiy the images in GE given the corners (except I have to write down the numbers). From GE I write kmz and import to ArcGIS explorer. I use an add-in to ArcGIS Explorer to generate the image partitioning Garmin requires. BTW, ArcGIS Explorer and the garmin add-in has been a very useful tool for me and custom map making for my Garmin GPSr.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 13th, 2014, 9:25 pm

pablo wrote:From GE I write kmz and import to ArcGIS explorer. I use an add-in to ArcGIS Explorer to generate the image partitioning Garmin requires. BTW, ArcGIS Explorer and the garmin add-in has been a very useful tool for me and custom map making for my Garmin GPSr.
Which add-in is that? Sounds like one I ought to take a look at!

(I've been using ArcGIS mostly to make GeoPDFs, since discovering Avenza's phone app.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pablo

Post by pablo » April 14th, 2014, 7:27 pm

kepPNW wrote:
pablo wrote:From GE I write kmz and import to ArcGIS explorer. I use an add-in to ArcGIS Explorer to generate the image partitioning Garmin requires. BTW, ArcGIS Explorer and the garmin add-in has been a very useful tool for me and custom map making for my Garmin GPSr.
Which add-in is that? Sounds like one I ought to take a look at!

(I've been using ArcGIS mostly to make GeoPDFs, since discovering Avenza's phone app.)
Well, there used to be a link to the tool on ESRI's site but they have re-arranged things so it is no longer available and searching for the author turns up nothing useful. This is where I found the original link:

http://freegeographytools.com/2010/crea ... armin-tool

Too bad, it's been useful. I like the ArcGIS Explorer basemaps - they use the Nat Geo version of USGS topos which I really like. Good imagery too. ArcGIS Explorer is nice and pretty useful.

--Paul

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 14th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Thanks, Paul! I guess I gotta check that out. I've really never played with the Explorer product, since I have the full-blown one at my disposal. But I bet a lot of stuff I'd like to do would be possible with that, and far easier to share with others, then, too.

(I've been using the USGS 24k topo basemaps they provide with ArcGIS online, and liking those, lately. Same thing, maybe?)
Karl

pablo

Post by pablo » April 15th, 2014, 8:31 am

kepPNW wrote:Thanks, Paul! I guess I gotta check that out. I've really never played with the Explorer product, since I have the full-blown one at my disposal. But I bet a lot of stuff I'd like to do would be possible with that, and far easier to share with others, then, too.

(I've been using the USGS 24k topo basemaps they provide with ArcGIS online, and liking those, lately. Same thing, maybe?)
I also have the full package but Explorer seems to have all the functionality I need for hiking related activities - its really a nice piece of software. I'm pretty sure the 24k topo basemap is the same in both products.

I do plan to toss some of this lidar at ArcGIS desktop to see what kinds of things can be done.

--Paul

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 15th, 2014, 9:50 am

Playing with the Desktop Explorer now. Seems kinda neat! (Once I got it into "get along" mode with Windows 7.) One thing I was really curious about was whether it could export GeoPDFs, but that's looking like something reserved for the full product? Probably lots of possibilities with add-ins, too. Thanks for the push to take a deeper look at this!
Karl