Rood Bridge 'Water' Park in Hillsboro - wow!

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Crusak

Rood Bridge 'Water' Park in Hillsboro - wow!

Post by Crusak » March 18th, 2012, 7:21 pm

With all the afternoon sunshine today I decided to head out for a brisk walk in my neighborhood. part of the usual 'figure eight' loop that I do includes Rood Bridge Park. This is a fun park, great for families or those with kids especially. I like it because doing a loop or two through there breaks up the monotony of residential street walking.

I was very surprised to see the conditions at the park! The whole south end is completely under water. The water levels are higher than I've ever seen since this park opened.

Here are some pics I took with my iPhone 3GS, which (fortunately) I had with me.

This is the area where a large pond is located during normal water levels. Right now it has encompassed the whole middle of the park.
IMG_0356 (1024x768).jpg
The park includes a boat launch, where people can drop into the Tualatin River for a nice canoe ride. Right now the entire boat launch area is under at least 10-15' of water!
IMG_0357 (1024x768).jpg
This is a nice path that runs through the middle of the park. As you can see, the water from the pond has risen up to nearly cover this bridge area.
IMG_0360 (1024x768).jpg
Another view from uphill, looking south towards the bridge and the pond (wow the pond is huge right now!)
IMG_0361 (1024x768).jpg
At the southeast corner of the park there is a nice loop path through the forest. To get there, you head down this path, over a bridge, and uphill. Well... the bridge and the path are nowhere to be found. Totally under water! I'd guess that the bridge is at least 15' underwater.
IMG_0364 (1024x768).jpg
I had a great walk today. Nearly two hours of walking as fast as I could move. And the sunshine was a welcome change! But I can't wait for all this water to go away so I can enjoy the rest of Rood Bridge Park.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

sasquatch22

Re: Rood Bridge 'Water' Park in Hillsboro - wow!

Post by sasquatch22 » March 19th, 2012, 12:05 am

Crusak wrote:I had a great walk today. Nearly two hours of walking as fast as I could move.
Your recovery seems to be going quite well.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » March 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Crusak, please take some after pictures when it is all dried up.
Are you still attacking the stairs at work also?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm

mayhem wrote:Crusak, please take some after pictures when it is all dried up.
Good idea! I can post some comparison shots.
mayhem wrote:Are you still attacking the stairs at work also?
Yup. Last week I did 600 steps every day on the stairs (300 on the morning break, 300 during the afternoon break). I plan to get back to doing 900 steps soon (adding 300 more on my lunch break). If I include the several trips up the 28 steps to the 2nd floor where my office is at, I probably end up doing nearly 1,000 or more stair steps every work day. That's a bit o' stair climbing for sure. Seems to help! :)
sasquatch22 wrote:Your recovery seems to be going quite well.
It's coming along nicely. Still some pain around the incisions, especially when I'm on the recumbent bike, due the angle I'm sitting at. Dumb double hernia mess ate up the first 2-1/2 months of the year, so I've got a lot of miles to make up! :D
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando