How's our Gorge Commission doing?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chase

How's our Gorge Commission doing?

Post by Chase » December 21st, 2014, 9:38 am

kepPNW

Re: How's our Gorge Commission doing?

Post by kepPNW » December 21st, 2014, 10:05 am

Another piece in The Columbian today...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » December 21st, 2014, 2:59 pm

The problem is that Oregon's population density is next to the Gorge while Washington's is a long ways away. Washington would find the money if the Gorge was right next to Seattle.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » December 22nd, 2014, 1:00 pm

Actually, for a Gorge newspaper (Hood River), that wasn't that negative of an article. Klickitat and Skamania County has not supported the Gorge Act at all. This is not surprising. A few years back, the eastern Oregon legislators said that "we have enough trees" when discussions about expanding the wilderness were debated. Put simply, if you stare out your window and see rooftops and cement, you tend to long for more trees. If you stare out your window and see fields and trees, you tend to think development may not be such a bad thing.Not that everybody fits this model, but that has been the tendency between the Valley and rural Oregon when it comes to land use issues.

On the Gorge Commission, it is doubtful that the counties with a high sheep-to-human population will be in agreement with the counties where traffic backups are measure in miles and not in blocks.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 22nd, 2014, 1:51 pm

So, the Gorge Commission doesn't have enough funds to hire staff to review development applications. I don't really see the criticism of the Gorge Commission.

And Oregon approved additional funds but Washington didn't and the commission can only take additional funds if both states do it. Same thing with the I-5 bridge. Washington is in worse of a financial hole. Plus, the court says they have to spend more on education so they can't afford to increase other areas.

And Washington will now have to spend more catching target shooters that hand their gun over to someone else :lol:

I think that over-all, the gorge is a lot better off today because of the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area designation. They have preserved a lot of scenery. Made compromises with development.

They're pushing back on more oil and coal transport by rail because there aren't plans to clean up spills - sounds reasonable to me. We sure need to figure out how to transport oil and maybe coal better. Pipelines are better.

Guy

Post by Guy » December 22nd, 2014, 8:14 pm

Maybe they should concentrate on the stuff that's important rather than trying to stick their nose into everything. Should people who live in the Gorge communities have to wait over a year to find out if they can put a new patio on their house? You shouldn't even need permission to put a patio or pergola in your garden! How does this help the Gorge or anyone? I'm not talking about new buildings here I'm talking about patios, pergolas, gates etc.

I know of a guy who owns some land on the west end of the Gorge. He was two fields each with an aluminum gates one on each side of the road. One is inside National Scenic area one isn't. He received a notice from the Columbia Gorge Commission telling him that his Aluminum was not allowed he would have to replace it immediately (or face legal action) with a wooden gate. The road now has a wooden gate on one side & an aluminum one (which they could do nothing about) on the other. Doesn't seem like the best use of their time & effort to go after stuff like this.

Just my 2 cents.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 23rd, 2014, 7:41 pm

When President Ronald Reagan signed the CRGNSA into law, some folks cheered and some folks groaned. Not much has changed.

On the pro-scenery side, if development applications are being delayed almost to the point of being abandoned, then that's great news.

On the pro-development side, these delays mean you aren't spending too much money right now, but you also aren't seeing any return on investment.

Either way, the scenic quality of the Gorge is being "preserved". Kinda sounds like the CRGNSA is doing what it does, only unintentionally.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Chase

Post by Chase » December 23rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

Lumpy wrote:When President Ronald Reagan signed the CRGNSA into law, some folks cheered and some folks groaned. Not much has changed.

On the pro-scenery side, if development applications are being delayed almost to the point of being abandoned, then that's great news.

On the pro-development side, these delays mean you aren't spending too much money right now, but you also aren't seeing any return on investment.

Either way, the scenic quality of the Gorge is being "preserved". Kinda sounds like the CRGNSA is doing what it does, only unintentionally.
This sums it up well; however, my concern is that with enough years of insufficient funding, developers or people who have a certain type of interest in the Gorge ($$$) will possibly start the wheels of congressional coercion to dissolve or change the CRGNSA. I don't see that ending well.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 23rd, 2014, 9:59 pm

I'm fairly certain that is attempted every time some of the accused involved people/parties change. It could happen even if the Commission were fully funded.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Chase

Post by Chase » December 24th, 2014, 7:35 am

Lumpy wrote:I'm fairly certain that is attempted every time some of the accused involved people/parties change. It could happen even if the Commission were fully funded.
Not if I was on the board.