PUT YOUR %$#! DOG ON A LEASH!!!

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
forestkeeper

Re: PUT YOUR %$#! DOG ON A LEASH!!!

Post by forestkeeper » October 20th, 2014, 8:36 am

standard poodle.jpg
standard poodle.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
+
silken windhound.jpg
silken windhound.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

=

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Small pet owners are soooo funny. It's good to vent Tom ;) , but in reality, how many people actually obey any law? When the sign says 55 mph, how many actually drive 60? 65? Even 70+? Plus, you live in a university neighborhood. Shouldn't most resident be used to tolga parties and mardi gras every weekend?

I, personally, am a small pet lover too.
chipmonk.jpg
chipmonk.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
+
squirrel.jpg
squirrel.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
=
:lol:

And I hate it when these little guys get off their leash!
images.jpg
images.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 20th, 2014, 10:27 am

jdemott wrote:I guess if a dog gets a little confused in the woods, it is less likely to respond to a voice other than the owner's.
Or the person who borrowed the dog for the day. Interesting hypothesis. Would be interesting to see a study if there is one or one gets done.

This may be why I have so far preferred smaller adventure dogs. Just spooky enough about things to not ever go far from me, but just large enough to move at my pace and daily mileage, and I don't have to carry a lot of food for a larger dog.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

mandrake

Post by mandrake » October 20th, 2014, 5:36 pm

T'was many years back, but a friend and I were finishing up the Rock of Ages - Horsetail - Oneonta loop. Got down to the bridge across the slot canyon above Oneonta Gorge and a whole bunch of people were on the bridge peering down into the slot. We got down there and discovered someone's dog (off-leash) had fallen in. The dog was visible in the creek about 20ft below. My friend and I figured we were a bit more prepared to climb down there than most of the tourists present, so we dropped packs and downclimbed into the slot. Last bit is maybe 6ft of low 5th rock; not too bad. Water was about knee-deep. I made my way over to the dog: a good-sized bulldog with one of those collars with the spikes that point inwards. The dog had a number of cuts around his face and was shivering, but otherwise seemed okay. I approached warily and he seemed to realize we were there to help. A couple of other folks on the bridge (also dog owners) linked their leashes together and lowered the line it to us. We clipped it to the dog's collar -- and with pulling from above & pushing from below, we got the dog up & out... then climbed our ourselves (now completely muddy). The dogs owner turned out to be a 20-something guy who was thanking us. I commented about the dog: "well, he seems okay, apart from being cut up around the face there." The owner: "oh, no... those are from fights." The entire situation reverses. Oh, that was why the dog was down there. Us: "we have to leave... right now." :(

My two cents: please use common sense and keep your dog on a leash when it's appropriate. Especially around cliffs. Especially on trails when there are a lot of other people and/or dogs around. Also on trails where there's poison oak. The dog runs through the stuff and then happily becomes a vector when brushing up against you, or when you pet it.

(Random coda to the above story: we arrive back at the Horsetail Creek trailhead where we were parked and see a nice couple in somewhat inappropriate hiking attire eyeing the sign and and wondering if they want to attempt the quarter-mile hike up to Ponytail Falls. Then they see us coming down; swath of mud from shoulder to hip. Eyes get wide. Us: "it's not that bad really..." The couple get in their car and drive off without saying a word.)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 20th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Good on you for rescuing that bulldog, Mandrake -- even if the owner didn't deserve to own him... :x

....kinda wishing I hadn't started a rant thread, but it DID feel good at the time..! ;)

Tom :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 21st, 2014, 8:01 am

In addition to the rant about unleashed dogs (with which I fully agree!), there's the related issue of dark colors, especially black, being basically invisible at night. This is true of people wearing dark clothing as well as black dogs! I have several times barely missed hitting a pedestrian wearing black, generally teenagers who often don't look before crossing the street. And I never realized how completely invisible a black dog can be in the dark until I took care of my daughter's black dog for over two months early this year.

Please, if you have a black dog, use a reflective collar or (better) a safety vest at night! If you yourself walk at night, get a reflective vest! The life you save may be your dog's, your own, or both. From a more selfish point of view, I would have a really hard time living with myself if I were the one who hit you!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 23rd, 2014, 8:58 pm

So true, Granny -- one thing I've noticed here in North Portland is the number of (mostly young adult) people riding bicycles (a) without a helmet, and (b) without a light at night. Sometimes, they're even dressed in all-dark clothes..! It's not like there isn't plenty of public information out there, so I can only interpret this as just choosing to live a little dangerously... yikes!

Tom :shock: