COMING SOON! New Cabela's Store in Tualatin! (Fall 2014)

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Crusak

Re: COMING SOON! New Cabela's Store in Tualatin! (Fall 2014

Post by Crusak » August 29th, 2013, 6:50 am

Sweet! Makes for a much shorter drive than the Springfield, OR or Lacey, WA stores. Thanks for the update.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » August 29th, 2013, 7:55 am

from looking at full catalog......... seems clothing is all cotton or camo colored ........ hope not though

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 29th, 2013, 8:41 am

raftingdog wrote:from looking at full catalog......... seems clothing is all cotton or camo colored ........ hope not though
Right now I think they are gearing up for fall hunting season, which probably explains why you saw so much camo.

They sell quite a large variety of outdoor gear for camping, hunting, fishing/fly fishing, hiking, backpacking, automotive/ATV, shooting/optics, boating/marine, home & cabin products and archery. They sell a lot more than just camo and cotton clothing. You'll find plenty of synthetic. wool and waterproof-breathable products.

I've been a regular online customer for years, so Cabelas sends me their limited edition hardbound catalogs. The fall catalog is huge - it's a 1-1/2" thick hardbound book.

I really like their casual clothing products. I'm tall enough that I need to purchase "tall" sizes, and Cabelas stocks plenty of tall sized clothing that is suitable for me to wear at work (business casual). I've also bought some of their base layer products (synthetic). They have a huge assortment of footwear, socks, gloves and hats.

#1 on my Cabelas shopping list this year is a new waterproof breathable rain jacket. They've got a huge assortment of Gore-Tex jackets that are very reasonably priced - and available in tall sizes. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 18th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Anybody wait out in that line this morning?
We were a bit concerned having to drive by it tonight just after rush hour coming home. ODOT had two big reader boards warning of slowdowns ahead. As we went by the exit a total of one car was using the ramp and that was it. The only slowdown was because people slow down when they are trying to read those ODOT signs.. :?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 19th, 2014, 6:25 pm

I forgot to rise this thread from the dead (necromance) the other day too Gene! I can't believe
how fast the time flew by from when Crus posted about Cabella's and now it's open! :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 19th, 2014, 7:54 pm

After visiting the Olympia, WA Cabela's several times, as a backpacker and hiker I'm not all that thrilled with most of their offerings. If you're a hunter or fisherperson, that's different. I bought an awesome lightweight fly rod there for my grandson a couple of years ago. It has such wonderful action that I am tempted to ditch my Tenkara rod for one just like it. They have an enormous selection of dry flies, too. Cabela's clothing and other gear tends to be quite heavy and, again, more suited to the hunter or fisherman who car-camps.

At least I now have a local source for quality dry flies, although Tualatin is a long drive from Troutdale. The Olympia store is actually more convenient for me since I go to Seattle at least once a month. The only problem is that since I visit Cabela's once a year or less, I keep mixing up the two exits for Martin Way and Marvin Way (Cabela's is at the latter).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 19th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I went by on Thursday evening (didn't stop), and the parking lot was full -- but no riots or looting going on. I think they outdid Krispy Kreme on the free media hype for this one! :)
#1 on my Cabelas shopping list this year is a new waterproof breathable rain jacket. They've got a huge assortment of Gore-Tex jackets that are very reasonably priced - and available in tall sizes.
Thanks, Jim -- I had kind of assumed this was another Dicks Sporting Goods with a different name, but will definitely check out their jackets. I'm in need of a new one, too.

Tom :)

Water

Post by Water » September 24th, 2014, 8:45 am

Back when I lived in Michigan when Cabelas opened they were great for most outdoors stuff there (aka not backpacking). Indeed as Grannyhiker says a lot of their stuff is 'heavy'. That said I have various dry-bags from them which have been stout enough to be used as food bags for hundreds of nights out with many a time being hung on a tree/dropped to the ground--etc. And Cabelas warranty is fantastic.

They can be a great place to get things like crocs, boot/shoe insoles, boot dryer, chemical hand/foot warmers, socks, binoculars, etc. I wouldn't buy a backpack or a ultra-light sleeping bag there probably. If we're talking just 'lighter-weight' vs actual ultra-light.. most of REI's offerings are fairly heavy too (most, not all).

I haven't gone through the catalog or been in a store in ages but I'll enjoy stopping in sometime this fall. I bet there are a few unexpected gems there, light-weight wise.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Koda

Post by Koda » September 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

The thing about most of Cabela’s gear is it is designed mostly for the hunting and fishing crowd which more time is spent sitting in a stand or on a boat in freezing weather. Rain gear (Goretex) tends to be heavier materials for durability and usually includes insulation for warmth for long hours sitting still on a deer stand or fishing. I’ve always wanted to find a UL thin camo membrane (waterproof/breathable) quiet material jacket but cant find one even at Cabela’s.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 24th, 2014, 12:29 pm

For a while, at least, there were quite a few favorable comments on BackpackingLight about Cabela's Gore-Tex PacLite rain gear. That was a few years ago, and there is now much lighter rain gear available.

Personally, my experience with Gore-Tex has been pretty lousy; I have found it no more breathable than the much cheaper and far lighter siicone impregnated nylon rain gear I use. I've found that I'm better off with the non-breathable rain gear (it doesn' "wet out") but with a really loose fit for ample ventilation. Non-breathable rain gear can also be used as a vapor barrier suit in my sleeping bag (over base layer but under insulating clothing) when the temps get well below freezing.

Your mileage, of course, may (and probably will) vary! I grew up when only the non-breathable stuff was available, so that's what I got used to.