Old Oregon photos with some fun mystery ones

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
payslee

Old Oregon photos with some fun mystery ones

Post by payslee » February 20th, 2014, 5:16 pm

:cry:
Last edited by payslee on February 4th, 2015, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Don Nelsen

Re: Old Oregon photos with some fun mystery ones

Post by Don Nelsen » February 20th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Thanks so much for posting these great old photos!

"Grant Castle" looks like the cliffs on the south east side of Dog Mt.,

The "Pillers of Hercules" were wiped out by the RR and then the hwy construction save one or two little ones,

"Anyone recognize this summit" I'm sure that is the summit of Mt. Hood, looking east.

Nice job, payslee,

Thanks,

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peabody

Post by Peabody » February 20th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Thanks for posting these. Looks like I have something to add to my "rainy day to-do list."
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » February 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.

viking

Post by viking » February 20th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Which spur= Pulpit rock, Coe glacier Mt. Hood

Pillars of Hercules= aka Speelyei's pillars, 3 miles east of Rooster rock. " The chief feature ids a thumb-shaped, 120' basaltic tower standing by itself. At one time the railroad passed along its south side and the old right-of-way is still discernible" Dodge, A climbing Guild to Oregon.

Grant's Castle=? Don might be correct with Dog Spine, but something does not look right. No railroad? Nor room…

Basaltic falls/Cowlitz canyon= 2500' tall, WOW!??

Oregon forest in Bull run Reserve= Looks like from more northish- Indian Mt.?

Recognize summit= Mt. Hood, north face- visited it many times.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 21st, 2014, 8:21 am

NEATO! Thanks for sharing. :D
If this photo was taken from the Bull Run, it must be way in the northwest part?
The picture's caption says Bull Run Forest Reserve, which was created in 1892 and was the precursor to the Oregon National Forest (created in 1908) which was renamed the Mt. Hood National Forest in 1924. I've never been able to find a map that shows the boundaries of that forest reserve but I do know that it covered a lot more area than the present boundaries of the Bull Run Watershed.

There's a great history on the Bull Run area called Water: Portland's Precious Heritage. It's a very thorough history and has quite a few photos in it too.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » February 21st, 2014, 10:05 am

Yep -- Yokum Falls is on Camp Creek -- more or less just below/downstream of the trail up to Mirror Lake.
viking wrote:Pillars of Hercules= aka Speelyei's pillars, 3 miles east of Rooster rock. " The chief feature ids a thumb-shaped, 120' basaltic tower standing by itself. At one time the railroad passed along its south side and the old right-of-way is still discernible" Dodge, A climbing Guild to Oregon.
Viking is correct -- the RR tracks were moved such that they no longer pass between the two pillars - but just north of them. The old grade between the two is still there tho'. Here's a shot of what the grade looks like today: http://www.summitpost.org/pillars-of-hercules/177114

----
"Not quite finished highway" -- guessing that might be the viaduct just east of Multnomah Falls?

----
Mystery Falls #2 = maybe Spray Falls at Mt. Rainier NP?
http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/ ... p?num=5419

----
Three Famous Scenic Points:
Middle one is definitely St. Peter's Dome in the Gorge. Horsetail & Wahkeena?

Limey

Post by Limey » February 21st, 2014, 10:16 am

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. Very timely as I just watched The Oregon Experience the other night on OPB. There were two shows, the first was all about Bull Run and the installation of the water supply for Portland. Very interesting. The second one was all about the CCC. Love this old history stuff. Wish I had a time machine.

payslee

Post by payslee » February 21st, 2014, 10:19 am

justpeachy wrote:I've never been able to find a map that shows the boundaries of that forest reserve but I do know that it covered a lot more area than the present boundaries of the Bull Run Watershed.
In that case you should check out the City archives! They have several tabletop-size maps showing the original reserve and detailing the pre-existing claims they had to acquire.

And thanks for all the input everybody! I'll update the original post as we ID things.

And Mandrake - that is so cool that the Pillars didn't get completely obliterated. I love modern/old place photo comparisons.

-payslee

payslee

Post by payslee » February 21st, 2014, 10:56 am

viking wrote:
Basaltic falls/Cowlitz canyon= 2500' tall, WOW!??
I suspected this was up at Rainier, and a little googling revealed that it is Margaret Falls. The world waterfall database lists it at 1350 feet (six drops total, presumably some are out of sight from this photo point). Still very impressive! Although many of the claims in these old promotional books were a little on the high side :-)

Here is a picture of the falls from a very similar viewpoint, from a 1963 USGS paper on the Geology of Mt. Rainier. Click to enlarge.
MargaretFalls.jpg
Margaret Falls, Mount Rainier
Considering how impressive this falls is, there aren't a lot of recent photos. Calling Tim and Melinda, this one is offtrail...

-payslee