Eliot Glacier in 1989 - Then & Now

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Splintercat

Eliot Glacier in 1989 - Then & Now

Post by Splintercat » April 23rd, 2011, 8:41 pm

As I continue to plow through (and scan!) old slides, I'm finding some good then/now comparisons. These are from a hike with my wife along the Eliot Glacier moraine in September 1989, and I've put a couple of contemporary images side-by-side to show the changes.

First, a stop at Inspiration Point -- BIG changes here, including a radically eroded canyon, plus the "Gnarl" fire that topped Stranahan Ridge:

Here are a couple of shots from along the trail -- my lovely wife posing with a big boulder... note the vintage Vasque leather boots!

My wife with some doofus guy in short-shorts (don't blame me, the Blazers were still wearing them, too!)... and another nice pair of vintage Vasque boots:

(I'll spare everyone the pain of viewing my ungainly butt, but there's a wonderful outtake where I didn't quite make it back to the "pose" before the shutter released -- the magic of mechanical timers!)

And finally, a comparison of the Eliot Glacier from pretty close to the same spot in 1989 and 2009:

Clearly, the ablation zone has moved upstream, overtaking a good portion of the lower icefall. But the most noticeable change is how the moraine walls have been destabilized by a shrinking glacier in the ablation zone -- the erosion that took out the Timberline Trail, of course.

Let's see... 1989... what were we listening to on the way up to the trailhead? Well, we would have been in our 1986 Honda Civic Hatchback, and I suspect it was "Appetite for Destruction"... maybe some Tom Petty and Black Crowes stuff from that era. I'm pretty sure I was drinking Mountain Dew, too... no change there! Of course, there were some Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers for after the hike, too...

-Tom :D

retired jerry

Re: Eliot Glacier in 1989 - Then & Now

Post by retired jerry » April 29th, 2011, 9:08 am

I was walking on the foot of the glacier last summer.

It's covered with rocks.

Hard to tell where the glacier is unless you're actually walking on it.

Love your before and after pictures.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 2nd, 2011, 7:01 pm

Way too cool!! I said it before & will say it again, I love this kind of stuff. Thanks again for sharing.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 3rd, 2011, 6:42 am

doofus guy in short-shorts (don't blame me, the Blazers were still wearing them, too!)
Hahaha - John Stockton never changed with the times either, kept his short shorts on until
retirement.

You guys both look great too! :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 4th, 2011, 8:20 am

Hahaha..! Yup, me and John Stockton! :D

But you know how this stuff goes... what goes around comes around: short shorts WILL return..!

:lol:

Roy

Post by Roy » May 16th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Splintercat wrote:Hahaha..! Yup, me and John Stockton! :D

But you know how this stuff goes... what goes around comes around: short shorts WILL return..!

Blue short shorts and leather boots with red strings :D If the short shorts return I better stalk up on theses long ones cause I don't want to be seen in short shorts now ;)

Nice photos and report thanks -Tom.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Dassty

Post by Dassty » May 29th, 2011, 10:19 am

Thanks interesting information +1
I frequently turn essay writing help roundly, when mutedly I have devastating challenges with framing of creative achievements. My immediate bought projects are made by clean-cut sterns and in appropriate spell, which subsists levy.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 29th, 2011, 11:14 am

Dassty wrote:I frequently turn essay writing help roundly, when mutedly I have devastating challenges with framing of creative achievements. My immediate bought projects are made by clean-cut sterns and in appropriate spell, which subsists levy.
That's pretty funny.

A spamster that wants to do essay writing at their website with that???

I'de delete it but it's worth some entertainment.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 3rd, 2011, 9:41 am

Okay, this struck me as funny, and seemed like the best place to post this, given the "short shorts" discussion. This is the groom and his groomsmen at a family wedding rehearsal a few weeks ago -- note the cargo pants "uniform"....

So, I predict that in about 20 years, short-shorts will be the rage, and these guys will be posting images of themselves in 2011 wearing cargo shorts, and laughing it up..! What goes around comes around..!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 3rd, 2011, 11:24 am

Hey, I saw a guy jogging in striped short, shorts just last week. Quite possibly we'll see them earlier than 20 years and the glaciers will return with the shorts.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir