awesome Mt Hood (and gorge) 1920s trail guide

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
payslee

awesome Mt Hood (and gorge) 1920s trail guide

Post by payslee » December 18th, 2014, 11:30 am

:cry:
Last edited by payslee on February 4th, 2015, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Re: awesome Mt Hood (and gorge) 1920s trail guide

Post by kepPNW » December 18th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Thank you for that! What a wonderful find. Downloaded the images, built a PDF, printed it out, plan to read tonight as I relax. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 18th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Paislee, Thanks!! I love stuff like this.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » December 19th, 2014, 3:59 pm

That is very cool. Now if I could just figure out how to search and find stuff on the national archives site, I could waste a TON of time! I do searches but can't find any digital images. It would be cool to be able to search the FS archives that they have.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 19th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Yeah, that's a cool pamphlet. It's also available on archive.org although when they scanned it they didn't scan the full maps.
RobFromRedland wrote:Now if I could just figure out how to search and find stuff on the national archives site, I could waste a TON of time! I do searches but can't find any digital images. It would be cool to be able to search the FS archives that they have.
I think that most of that material is not digitized. I asked the National Archives in Seattle about their collection of Region Six documents and photos, and although the collections are organized by category (permits, correspondence, road maintenance, etc.) all those individual items and pieces are not cataloged.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » December 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm

justpeachy wrote:I think that most of that material is not digitized. I asked the National Archives in Seattle about their collection of Region Six documents and photos, and although the collections are organized by category (permits, correspondence, road maintenance, etc.) all those individual items and pieces are not cataloged.
Even if it wasn't digitized, if it was indexed, it would be great to know what they had available. Maybe it would be worth a trip to Seattle....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

airoff

Post by airoff » December 22nd, 2014, 2:19 pm

Not sure if folks are interested, but it's available for download in various formats here:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/49524

Chase

Post by Chase » December 24th, 2014, 7:47 am

On one of the maps (around page 25, but the page number seems to be cropped off) it shows "Mt. Mole." Is this just Nesmith? I'd never heard that name before. Excellent find, Payslee!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2014, 8:19 am

I had so much fun reading this the other night! The descriptions were just precious. Autoists would find room for 500 machines at Eagle Creek, with free camping and firewood. Men should be able to survive with 60# packs, and women with 35#. And the gear lists! Oh my... I really want to see sunrise from Larch Mtn, now, maybe as part of an overnight tour! Wish the trains were still running. :D
Chase wrote:On one of the maps (around page 25, but the page number seems to be cropped off) it shows "Mt. Mole." Is this just Nesmith? I'd never heard that name before. Excellent find, Payslee!
Hadn't seen that. It almost has to be Nesmith? But if it is, it's not very well placed, is it?

Had a similar question, as I tried to figure out what peak was then called Squaw Mountain (p17). The map shows it SE of Old Baldy, and the only peak on my maps that seems close would be one labeled Githens Mountain (4494'), which I honestly don't recall anyone else ever mentioning. Could also possibly be Tumala Mountain (4711')?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

jime

Post by jime » December 25th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Had a similar question, as I tried to figure out what peak was then called Squaw Mountain (p17). The map shows it SE of Old Baldy, and the only peak on my maps that seems close would be one labeled Githens Mountain (4494'), which I honestly don't recall anyone else ever mentioning. Could also possibly be Tumala Mountain (4711')?
Yes, Tumala Mountain is the new official name for the old Squaw Mountain. The road going up that way was renamed as well.
Not sure when. My 1986 Mt Hood NF map shows it as Squaw Mtn (4771'). It's a nice short hike up there to the old lookout site and good view of Mt Hood.