PCT at Herman Creek

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Don Nelsen

Re: PCT at Herman Creek

Post by Don Nelsen » November 22nd, 2014, 4:01 pm

Pablo,

Nice research! Thanks much. The maps pose more questions: The 1938 map shows the PCT reaching the old hwy on the east side of Herman Creek. There is trail in there but I haven't tried to follow it south of the power lines. Time to go back for that one.

Also, on the second map, I've been up that ridge that shows a trail 404. I found a section of obvious trail cut into the rock but had forgotten about it until your post. Another thing to go check out.

Trail hunt!!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Re: PCT at Herman Creek

Post by Don Nelsen » November 24th, 2014, 11:24 am

northridge wrote:
VERY cool to see the possible 404 designation for a route off of EG. I have wondered about that one.
Here is what I found while exploring approximately where the 404 trail is shown on the old maps. A fairly long section of what looked to me like a traversing trail around a ridge heading slightly uphill to the ESE. I documented what I saw and meant to go back and follow it farther. Other projects got in the way and I forgot about it until Pablo's post reminded me. Up close, this did not look natural - it looked like it was blasted or pick-axed out of the slope. This is one ridge over from Sorenson Cr. and about 400' vertical above the Eagle Creek Trail. Aug. 11, 2007.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller